Will and executors

Nublue 22

Well thanks all so far, a shorter version, there was three executors, oat the solicitors one sad they didn't want to do it, (brother) so there only two know, her sister (mother) passed away soon after, this left the sister who dismissed the solicitor leaving her with all the information and bank account's. I was given a very small amount and had know break down of were this figure came from, it's like it was made up. I have spoken to a few solicitors and there's not a lot they can do, I need to know is there away to find out what bank accounts she had and insurance policies as there were quit a few, thanks again all. PS it will happen to you as others have said when monies are involved don't trust anyone. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 23/01/2024 at 12:45, Zoli 12 guage said:

if it went to probate,as nearly all do,there will be a paper trail of the will that you are legally allowed to see.

This. Wills have to be available for the public to see. That is the law. I would urge you to see a solicitor. The solicitor that wrote the will may well have retained a copy. If your sister cannot produce a later dated will that it is that will that will be held to be the "last" will and so the one that must be followed. The sacked solicitor would be my first contact to see if they still have a copy. Wills can also be registered online (this isn't probate this is registering the will online). Again a solicitor will likely advise the websites that might have the will.

Edited by enfieldspares

51 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

Well thanks all so far, a shorter version, there was three executors, oat the solicitors one sad they didn't want to do it, (brother) so there only two know, her sister (mother) passed away soon after, this left the sister who dismissed the solicitor leaving her with all the information and bank account's. I was given a very small amount and had know break down of were this figure came from, it's like it was made up. I have spoken to a few solicitors and there's not a lot they can do, I need to know is there away to find out what bank accounts she had and insurance policies as there were quit a few, thanks again all. PS it will happen to you as others have said when monies are involved don't trust anyone. 

Was there a property / house in the estate or just bank accounts / investments?

What did the Will say about what went where - was it just a straight division of everything between the children in equal / unequal shares or were there specific legacies / gifts in there?

On 06/02/2024 at 08:54, Nublue 22 said:

I have a copy of the will, it just states that I should receive one third of all monies, but what's a third?  I dont now how much she had or what accounts she held. 

https://www.human-law.co.uk/_cmroot/human-law.co.uk/blog/2014/03/how-to-deal-with-the-executor-from-hell.aspx

Option 4 - Request An Inventory and Account
A (relatively) quick way to compel a lazy or unhelpful executor to account for his activities is to apply for an order that he/she exhibits an inventory and account in respect of the administration.

This should be done by applying to the Probate Registry by a claim form supported by an affidavit. Once obtained, the inventory and account can be examined by the beneficiary in order to assess whether any further steps are needed in respect of the executor.

I have a copy of the will, it just states that I should receive one third of all monies

You need to see a lawyer. To ask if monies is the same in meaning as is property in inheritance law. And especially if the will says "a third of my property". I would urge you to do this asap especially as you have, now, a copy of the will. 

Also note a beneficiary of a will can apply for probate themselves where, as the firm below says, no executors named in will are able to apply for probate or are ill and/or unwilling to act). I do not know these people below but they may be worth a call. 

https://www.gnlaw.co.uk/news/what-rights-does-a-beneficiary-of-a-will-have/

Edited by enfieldspares

• 4 weeks later...