Last drive of the season

So that’s another season picking up finished. Was the worst possible day to be out; cold and wet. The sort of day that goes right to the bones. I am tired, the dogs are tired and all of us ready for a break. Doubtless in a month’s time I will be missing it 😂 but not how it feels just now.

Sadly I also now retire the old dog too (white). At eleven he is physically fit and his nose works as well as ever but he is now stone deaf. That makes him a liability to us both as unless he can see me he is likely to get lost. One of the best dogs I have had but thankfully one of the others is just as good so next season holds no challenges without him.

IMG_20240129_145906_resized_20240129_063246719.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

So that’s another season picking up finished. Was the worst possible day to be out; cold and wet. The sort of day that goes right to the bones. I am tired, the dogs are tired and all of us ready for a break. Doubtless in a month’s time I will be missing it 😂 but not how it feels just now.

Sadly I also now retire the old dog too (white). At eleven he is physically fit and his nose works as well as ever but he is now stone deaf. That makes him a liability to us both as unless he can see me he is likely to get lost. One of the best dogs I have had but thankfully one of the others is just as good so next season holds no challenges without him.

Lovely photo Dave, sounds like hard work, sad and hard to retire the old boy i feel for you.....and him!

48 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Lovely image!

Going by looks, your dogs always look in peak condition and are certainly a credit to you Dave , so sad when you know it could be your dogs last day picking up , I am sure it won't be his last retrieve just yet :good:.

Our last full day was last Saturday and our beater's and helpers day is this Wednesday , we had our worst weather on the first three days we had , two very , very wet days and one foggy and cold day , from then on , weather wise it got better with an almost Spring like day last Saturday , this will also be the last day picking up for my Lab as his joints are now playing up after a days work and he is just over nine ,his coat shine like a piece of silk and have been a brilliant game finder but sadly his peak years are behind him now and hopefully he will like me have a very happy retirement .

SAM-6636.jpg

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Going by looks, your dogs always look in peak condition and are certainly a credit to you Dave , so sad when you know it could be your dogs last day picking up , I am sure it won't be his last retrieve just yet :good:.

Our last full day was last Saturday and our beater's and helpers day is this Wednesday , we had our worst weather on the first three days we had , two very , very wet days and one foggy and cold day , from then on , weather wise it got better with an almost Spring like day last Saturday , this will also be the last day picking up for my Lab as his joints are now playing up after a days work and he is just over nine ,his coat shine like a piece of silk and have been a brilliant game finder but sadly his peak years are behind him now and hopefully he will like me have a very happy retirement .

SAM-6636.jpg

Lovely dog!