How High?

wymberley

Excluding the central 'lump' on the scope and just using the bottom edge of the tube, could anyone kindly tell me how high that has to be above the Picatinny rail on a FX Crown Mk 2 with a standard sporting type wood or laminate stock (just in case this is different from the 'tactical' versions) so that the scope clears the magazine?

MTIA

Edited by wymberley

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

That didn't take long..

Well done Mice!

Cheers mate, the lad I asked actually lives in SA, he then msgd another lad, could have been quicker 😉 

The Crowns have quite a following. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Cheers mate, the lad I asked actually lives in SA, he then msgd another lad, could have been quicker 😉 

The Crowns have quite a following. 

Absolutely brilliant. :thanks: and if you speak to SA again would you also thank them for me. I have more mounts/rings than the Sportsman Gun Centre but Sod's Law says that all of the Picatinny ones  have very little 'height'.

Yep, it seems they're popular and are like hens' teeth. Mine, bought and paid for, is sitting in the above emporium. When I can get my sticky little fingers on it, I won't need to shoot it for a while as just looking at it is good enough. If you're wondering why I've not got it, my last post in VARIATION in General Shooting Matters - NB the two dates - explains. Won't say any more for now.

On 09/02/2024 at 09:58, Mice! said:

I'll pass your thanks on mate 👍 

Glad you've gone this route for FAC, it's what there designed for so you should be happy 😊 

Many thanks and as you're so kind would you care to answer another one for me. Have another look at VARIATION and you'll realise that I've got more time compliments of D&CC, Not into fiddling any more and just want to shoot it so if I could start on the right foot that would be handy. I have the STD Plus in .25 (hopefully) and am looking at not too heavy pellets or slugs - preferably the latter but one can't be sure of what will be best with regards accuracy. I'm figuring that as it probably wouldn't do any harm, would the Superior Heavy liner be advantageous just in case things turn out that a tad heavier choice is necessary?

The rest of of the info I gave Kenyan Kier that may be of use (and I'll measure the height of the mounts I'm using there in a minute).  18mm is from the right hand side of the rail to the top of the mag at that point.  Beware that the mag is rising you need to allow for the circumference of the scope.  I'll come back to the 0.25 question after measuring the mounts I'm using.

153112924_WhatsAppImage2024-02-08at14_02.50_0ea8a792.jpg.09422f9ace6b3a661dbfb68e59e1049b.jpg1253461405_WhatsAppImage2024-02-08at14_02.51_9c4994cc.jpg.bef71f5c2b93089709b176da5a68ef7f.jpg929038874_WhatsAppImage2024-02-08at14_02.52_e10a8321.jpg.dc04f041e2871fbd7c5da75cbd73129e.jpg1694927498_WhatsAppImage2024-02-08at14_02.53_87ae27ff.jpg.bcabe04b66a409007b23c7dbdc2f093a.jpg

21 hours ago, wymberley said:

STD Plus in .25 (hopefully) and am looking at not too heavy pellets or slugs

Me and @scoie converted a sub 12 380mm 0.25 to FAC (with the OK from his FEO) but in the tuning did not change the transfer port core leaving that as 4.5mm sub 12 item.  This gave us an easy 38fe with JSB 25.39gr pellets at 125bar reg set pressure with a nice smooth and easy cocking action.

image.jpeg.9d372aa65953a336dfa806254fb2f725.jpeg

Changing the barrel to 500mm with a superior liner and no other changes to the tune gave a bit over 43.5fpe average.

image.jpeg.ca4e9ee9bbeb871c99be5f7b8998139f.jpeg

Later we drilled the transfer port out to 7mm with no changes to the tune and gained around another 3fpe with the 500mm barrel.

Accuracy testing in all configurations has shown pellets to be accurate and the slugs we tried weren't very good but that might be because we were running them to slow at around 833fps.

The gun was initially converted to FAC using a Huma pin probe in place of the standard probe (no other parts of the Huma slug kit fitted) but that proved problematical loading slugs from the magazine so we reverted back to the standard probe.  The difference in muzzle velocity between the pin probe and standard probe was about 10fps.

Obviously a 600mm barrel will be more efficient than the 380 and 500.

The mounts I'm using measured 15mm from the base of the mount (peak of the pic rail) to the bottom of the scope tube.  This made me think that my measurements the other day must be wrong so I've measured again and got 12mm from centre or pic rail peak to mag at that point and 15mm from right hand side of pic rail peak to mag at that point.

Sorry for the duff gen earlier.

Sagalout

First of all, a warm welcome to PW and secondly, many thanks indeed for all of the info. I'm pretty sure that I will not be the only one to benefit.

I got a couple of Picatinny riser mounts from Optics Warehouse which measure 19mm and I have some Warne Maxima Tikka QR ring/mounts (have you seen how much these are now :mad:) at 5mm so I think I have that sussed.

From the off I've been looking at the 25.39 JSBs which Sod's Law means they are the only ones I can't find a sample quantity for. No matter, I'll pick some up with the rifle as it seems that these are the ones that The Sportsman use to check out anything done on FX rifles. There's nothing more that I can do now until I can get the rifle so will see how the possible need for the heavy liner looks then. 

Edited by wymberley