Bath edging strip

Has anyone used the "L" shaped bath edging strip below?

I'm thinking of putting some on the inside of our shower cubicle. The silicone around the inside of the shower 45741804_Screenshot_20240218_213219_SamsungInternet.jpg.f09c6ba53be102a9f84f7e9f09153e11.jpghas black mould forming on it and the harder I try to get it off the silicone is peeling off. I know I could remove the old silicone and put new in but would the edging strip be better?

Comments please 🙏 

12 hours ago, JKD said:

NO !!! Clean off the old and replace with new 👍 Just make sure you get rid of ALL the old, including tiny specs, and make sure the area is bone dry before applying the new silicone.

👍👍👍

May I ask, what is wrong with the strip? I just thought that the plastic strip would be easier to clean than the silicone 🤔 we also have trouble with "hard water" that turns the inside of the shower red so you have to rub it hard to get it off.

8 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

did you initially use mould resistant silicone?

The bathroom was refitted about 18 months ago so I don't know what silicone was used tbh 🤔

The mould is not ridiculous but just unsightly between the shower tray and the wall mainly under the shower and is getting worse.

https://www.soudal.co.uk/pro/faq/i-have-used-anti-mould-silicone-why-there-mould-appearing

Edited by harrycatcat1

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

👍👍👍

May I ask, what is wrong with the strip? I just thought that the plastic strip would be easier to clean than the silicone 🤔 we also have trouble with "hard water" that turns the inside of the shower red so you have to rub it hard to get it off.

Basically, a bath is designed to be slightly flexible, a shower tray isn't. The only product to use in a  shower is mould resistant silicone, as has been said above.

If you've got mould in there so soon after it was fitted, something isn't right. Perhaps try drying the area with a cloth after every use ?

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Basically, a bath is designed to be slightly flexible, a shower tray isn't. The only product to use in a  shower is mould resistant silicone, as has been said above.

If you've got mould in there so soon after it was fitted, something isn't right. Perhaps try drying the area with a cloth after every use ?

It was fitted 18 months ago and it is a shower tray.

Screenshot_20240219_151402_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_151414_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_151426_Gallery.jpg

Can't see properly when zooming in to the top picture, but it looks like the silicone isn't sealed down to the tray on the LHS ? Might just be the picture though. Either way, you shouldn't be getting mould like that in a shower cubicle 🥴

2 hours ago, JKD said:

Can't see properly when zooming in to the top picture, but it looks like the silicone isn't sealed down to the tray on the LHS ? Might just be the picture though. Either way, you shouldn't be getting mould like that in a shower cubicle 🥴

This is why I suggested (i am thinking of) putting some of the bath edging strip around as,

1/ I am getting mould

2/ I think it will be better when I'm trying to clean it getting the red stain off from the hard water.

Has any one used it or had experience of it?

16 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This is why I suggested (i am thinking of) putting some of the bath edging strip around

Don't ! It's not called "Bath and shower edging strip" is it ? It won't work in a shower, but will make things worse 😕

To remove the red marks give it a spray with lime scale remover and leave overnight. 

any mould removal spray will clean the silicone up. 

if it’s acting a bit stubborn spray it and then roll up some toilet paper and put it over and another liberal spray and again leave over night. 

a quick spray once a month after that should keep you on the straight and narrow. 

Edited by ph5172

10 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

Harry try this product by Astonish.

Very good at removing mould from the silicone and just follow the instructions.

This will easily remove the mould you have on the silicone, and just use when required.

You will be astonished by the results 😁

IMG_2210.jpeg

Thanks I will give it a try 👍

Screenshot_20240220_091634_Samsung Internet.jpg

24 minutes ago, JKD said:

No problem,,,, always use the correct stuff for the job 😉😇

😉👍

14 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

Harry try this product by Astonish.

Very good at removing mould from the silicone and just follow the instructions.

This will easily remove the mould you have on the silicone, and just use when required.

You will be astonished by the results 😁

IMG_2210.jpeg

Just got some of this from Farmfoods to try 😉👍 

14 hours ago, ph5172 said:

if it’s acting a bit stubborn spray it and then roll up some toilet paper and put it over and another liberal spray and again leave over night. 

That toilet paper advice is a flippin good idea 💡 👍 

On 23/02/2024 at 17:36, ph5172 said:

@harrycatcat1 how did it clean up? 

I put some some rolled up toilet roll on the bad area and sprayed it with the Astonish spray above yesterday afternoon.  I had the intention of only leaving it for a couple of hours. Well I forgot about it and took it off in the evening and it had done a fantastic job.  Bet its removed 95% of the black mould 👍👍

Just need to increase ventilation now to prevent it 👍

27 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I put some some rolled up toilet roll on the bad area and sprayed it with the Astonish spray above yesterday afternoon.  I had the intention of only leaving it for a couple of hours. Well I forgot about it and took it off in the evening and it had done a fantastic job.  Bet its removed 95% of the black mould 👍👍

Just need to increase ventilation now to prevent it 👍

It would also help, if you don't already do it, is to use a squeegee on all vertical surfaces and edge of shower tray after every shower, to reduce the amount of moisture in the enclosure 😉

TIP OF THE DAY 🥳😀

3 hours ago, JKD said:

It would also help, if you don't already do it, is to use a squeegee on all vertical surfaces and edge of shower tray after every shower, to reduce the amount of moisture in the enclosure 😉

TIP OF THE DAY 🥳😀

Good idea 💡  by the time I'd done that I'd be dry too saving on a wet towel 😜 😉