Fenn trap box

For Fenn traps set in earth I tend to simply use 3 bits of 6in X 18-24in wood nailed together to form the tunnel with the trap set in a depression midway and anchored to a stake or similar outside. I then push in a pair of sticks at each entrance to reduce the width to prevent poults and non targets entering. I site these adjacent to gateposts, along hedge bottoms, walls etc suitably camouflaged if Joe Public are about.

14 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

For Fenn traps set in earth I tend to simply use 3 bits of 6in X 18-24in wood nailed together to form the tunnel with the trap set in a depression midway and anchored to a stake or similar outside. I then push in a pair of sticks at each entrance to reduce the width to prevent poults and non targets entering. I site these adjacent to gateposts, along hedge bottoms, walls etc suitably camouflaged if Joe Public are about.

^^^ This, but I used reduce the width near the trap with 4 pieces of wood screwed/nailed to the sides, this stops them running along the side of the tunnel, they have got to step on the plate to get through.

Only time I ever put a base on them is if they are set in the yard on concrete.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

^^^ This, but I used reduce the width near the trap with 4 pieces of wood screwed/nailed to the sides, this stops them running along the side of the tunnel, they have got to step on the plate to get through.

Yep. I try to form 'lead in's on the exterior from anything I can find in the vicinity and squeeze the sides of the box in a bit so the trap is as close to the inside edge as possible - without fouling it. 

3 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Do you get rats and squirrels entering?

3 hours ago, old'un said:

My intended target will be squirrels in the wood with the box fastened to a tree so the box needs a bottom. 

My next box will be as narrow as possible to accommodate the trap. The recently built trap box was an experiment for my garden. I am looking to buy 4 more fenn traps so need boxes to suit.

51 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My intended target will be squirrels in the wood with the box fastened to a tree so the box needs a bottom. 

My next box will be as narrow as possible to accommodate the trap. The recently built trap box was an experiment for my garden. I am looking to buy 4 more fenn traps so need boxes to suit.

I like open ended tunnels as checking for catches or a sprung trap is easy but realise you are looking to install on trees.

4 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

I like open ended tunnels as checking for catches or a sprung trap is easy but realise you are looking to install on trees.

Checking for catches with the box is easy because someone suggested putting a cable tie on the trap and drill a hole in the box and put the tie in so it pokes out on the outside. If it's not poking out then the trap has sprung.

Screenshot_20240301_141251_Gallery.jpg.022ad1b567d2ebe71afbe8eadb111cf3.jpg