Fenn trap box

I'm in the process of making a box for my fenn trap. It will be 12" long 8" wide and 8" high. I want it to be duel purpose for rats and squirrels and intend to have a hole in the top for "customers".

What size hole diameter should the entrance be? Also does it have to be round or can it be square? My jigsaw is broken 😩😉

46 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

It needs to be an inch wider than the set trap with the safety off and an inch taller than the sprung trap.  I would make it at least 2 feet long and the animals enter either end of the tunnel.  No need for bait if sited correctly.

May I ask how do you "site it correctly?" and how big should the entrances be to prevent capture of non target species 🤔 

11 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

May I ask how do you "site it correctly?" and how big should the entrances be to prevent capture of non target species 🤔 

Site it on places where they run, wall sides are a good example.  I have never blocked off part of the entrance, if you want to catch Mink, Rats or Squirrels etc then none target species could still get in even if you partially blocked the entrance.

5 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Site it on places where they run, wall sides are a good example.  I have never blocked off part of the entrance, if you want to catch Mink, Rats or Squirrels etc then none target species could still get in even if you partially blocked the entrance.

There are no walls down my garden only hedges and I intend to take it into a wood for squirrels, so are you saying leave the ends open?

I was intending to have a box so that the rat or squirrels go in the top through a small hole  for the bait and go onto the trap plate 🤔

12 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

There are no walls down my garden only hedges and I intend to take it into a wood for squirrels, so are you saying leave the ends open?

I was intending to have a box so that the rat or squirrels go in the top through a small hole  for the bait and go onto the trap plate 🤔

Try a hedge bottom then or tight to the side of your house or shed if Rats are about.  Fenn Traps are designed to be used in Tunnels.  If you want to partially block the ends you can if you have Hedgehogs about but you won't keep small birds out but they very rarely go in.  We used to find the tops of Dry Stone walls great for Squirrels.   

Edited by Weihrauch17

made this a few years back still in use today

knocked a tunnel box up so i can keep a trap set all the time 3rd pic i cut a hole in the side and put a small cable tie round the killing bar so i can see if its been trigerd without going near it the gravel is on the wood floor so everything level piece of wood each side of trap  to keep everything level inside the box .

rat 0.jpg

29354769_2022685487996666_2250911156814217256_o.jpg

3rats.jpg

rat1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Try a hedge bottom then or tight to the side of your house or shed if Rats are about.  Fenn Traps are designed to be used in Tunnels.  If you want to partially block the ends you can if you have Hedgehogs about but you won't keep small birds out but they very rarely go in.  We used to find the tops of Dry Stone walls great for Squirrels.   

Thank you 👍👍

10 minutes ago, stuartbrierley said:

made this a few years back still in use today

knocked a tunnel box up so i can keep a trap set all the time 3rd pic i cut a hole in the side and put a small cable tie round the killing bar so i can see if its been trigerd without going near it the gravel is on the wood floor so everything level piece of wood each side of trap  to keep everything level inside the box .

rat 0.jpg

29354769_2022685487996666_2250911156814217256_o.jpg

3rats.jpg

rat1.jpg

Do you bait it or not 🤔

Given me food for thought 

1 hour ago, stuartbrierley said:

no never baited a  box trap if you leave the safety  catch on the rats get used to just running the box ( hiding place ) and then release the safety   then you start catching hope this helps 

What diameter are your entrance holes in the tunnel please 🙏 

Screenshot_20240227_174739_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 hours ago, dessyb said:

if you aint got a hole saw h i can lend you one i live local. ps no bait needed they are nosey ******* so will venture in

Thanks for the offer that is very kind, I hope to tap up my neighbour I'm sure he will have a 2" hole saw 😉👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks for the offer that is very kind, I hope to tap up my neighbour I'm sure he will have a 2" hole saw 😉👍

As luck had it, my neighbour came home at the same time as I was taking the dog to the vets. He had one in the back of his van.

Screenshot_20240228_181423_Gallery.jpg

4 hours ago, dessyb said:

ok no prob  i would put the hole in the top half so they have to drop down into box i used to put hole in  bottom half but had some unwanted catches

Whilst I had the hole cutter I put one in each end and one in the top, if I get unwanted catches I will block the side holes up 👍 I think the 2" diameter holes should be sufficient for rats and squirrels. 

28 minutes ago, dessyb said:

as in first pic but i put hole in top r/or left corner now on end of box .👍

Do you mean higher than where I've drilled them? Is that as well as or instead of where I've put them? The reason I ask is that this is the first one I've built and I'm hoping to build 4 more as I hope to get 4 more fenn traps.

32 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Do you mean higher than where I've drilled them? Is that as well as or instead of where I've put them? The reason I ask is that this is the first one I've built and I'm hoping to build 4 more as I hope to get 4 more fenn traps.

in stead of/ h i did away with hole at bottom i now put them higher up on end of box i used to get some unusual catches before some had to be seen to be imaginable

15 minutes ago, dessyb said:

in stead of/ h i did away with hole at bottom i now put them higher up on end of box i used to get some unusual catches before some had to be seen to be imaginable

When you say unusual catches do you mean none target, other than squirrels and rats?