NPCC firearms lead visits BASC

14 hours ago, HantsRob said:

To be fair, my thought was "......aaaaand?"

What was discussed? What was the agenda? Was it a nice lunch and networking at the expense of a CC being away from a lot of work to have tea and cake, or was there a meeting around licencing and other factors that affect shooting?

I did like the tagline about both sides wanting a system that's efficient and effective. My comment would be what was discussed to agree that it's not, and the pathway to get to that gold standard?
I appreciate that's probably a question that won't be answered. But. It is obbiously not efficient and effective currently. 

:good:

The HM Forces' term for such a meeting (tidied up for PW) is a 'cake and bottom party'. A glib comment would be that it's going to get worse before it gets better. Not altogether true - it needs splitting up -   the first phrase is undoubtably valid, but there's considerable doubt about the second. I, for one am not all that keen on this 'cosying up'. One PCC has wrapped one organisation's firearms licensing chappy around their little finger and as a consequence he has gone into print giving a totally misleading impression of the current state of play. The need for land approval regarding FAC grants has been in effect for decades. Could anyone explain to me why a constabulary would belatedly seek help from another of our organisations in training their staff to read a map?

3 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Or you can take up the offer to PM me your email address and I will email you any updates I put up on PW a day before I do so. That to me is a solution that meets your needs, is it not?

Sorry but that's even more of a malarkey, the forum members have to wait a day for breaking news or other information? So the membership funds get screwed with again for an odd couple of people? I'm not very good at being tactful - and sometimes feel plain English is better.

Not being rude but sometimes people just have to bend a bit and suck stuff up done in the name of common sense practical expediency.

Edited by Dave-G

12 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Sorry but that's even more of a malarkey, the forum members have to wait a day for breaking news or other information? So the membership funds get screwed with again for an odd couple of people? I'm not very good at being tactful - and sometimes feel plain English is better.

Not being rude but sometimes people just have to bend a bit and suck stuff up done in the name of common sense practical expediency.

Agree it’s not a option all the paying members are entitled to get the information first 

that’s apparently not possible 

so I’m out thus leaving Conor to go do more important things for the organisation and it’s paying members

like finding non toxic cartridges with bio wads for small bores or a miriade of other things 

8 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Agree it’s not a option all the paying members are entitled to get the information first 

that’s apparently not possible 

so I’m out thus leaving Conor to go do more important things for the organisation and it’s paying members

like finding non toxic cartridges with bio wads for small bores or a miriade of other things 

I have a lot going on but member queries are a priority for me and I was hoping to find a solution given that you took the time to post your concerns on this thread but it seems to me that the goalposts keep moving so happy to just draw a line under it and move on with the following overview of BASC comms. 

BASC members receive a membership magazine 'Shooting and Conservation' in the post every two months. There is a BASC column in Shooting Times every week and other BASC updates. There are BASC articles and updates in the monthly sporting magazines on topical issues. There are BASC articles and quotes in local and national newspapers. BASC gives updates on its monthly podcast. There are BASC videos on YouTube. BASC gives interviews on radio and television stations. A 'BASC Live' email goes out every Wednesday pointing to a range of updates from the previous 7 days - that goes to members and also non-members that subscribe via BASC website. There are BASC emails to members by region or country about events and other updates for their area. There are also BASC 'Action Alert' emails which are campaign type calls to action on key issues. BASC updates go out several times daily on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. There are BASC events across the country every week. BASC attends shows and events across the country most weeks of the year. There is a BASC AGM, advisory committee and BASC Council meetings. I have probably missed a few things there but hopefully that gets across the diversity of comms taking place.