Something Different

13 hours ago, holloway said:

I like that Kevin and easy to see if you should drop it in the half light 👍

Thanks Chris, I did think it was going to look similar to the 1980s Tabac aftershave bottle when I started turning the blank.

The blank was very nice to turn and finish, and have ordered a few more of this colour acrylic blanks for future calls, and it sounds very good 👍 

IMG_2312.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just an update, a few recent acrylic calls and a wild cherry wood call.

The wood was kindly sent by greenshank1 and I have enough pieces left over, for more projects.

I was kindly sent a large piece of American Cherry from Holloway a few weeks ago, and plan to make a few goose calls at a later date out of this.

Made a display stand to show the calls off.

Pleased with the end results !

IMG_4056.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4061.jpeg

IMG_4062.jpeg

Edited by Shambam1962
Wrong PW member name added on initial post, a bit of a senior moment.

Love the display cabinet.

Is there no end to your talent?

They look amazing and knowing your quest for perfection no doubt they sound spot on too.

Many thanks for sharing.

OB

Thank you Old Boggy, and yes I’m pleased with the results 👍

I have recently turned an assortment of different inserts, for future projects and cut on the steel sound board jig I made in a previous post.

Very pleased how they sound.

I made my 1st proper wooden pinkfoot goose call yesterday and very pleased how it sounds and looks.

I did make a prototype wooden goose call a few weeks ago along the old Olt style call and  learnt from making this and altering the reed and sound board until I was happy with the sound it makes now, and replicated on the new wooden call.

I will try making an acrylic goose call, at a later date, and will adapt (bore) , the middle call in the photo of 3 calls below I made last week, for the new reed insert.

I will only have to make an acrylic reed insert to match the barrel and tune to suit !

I had a piece of two coloured acrylic rod in a job lot, I purchased, and I turned it yesterday to see how it looked made up.

I the colour reminds me of rhubarb and custard sweets I had as a kid !

It’s not my personal choice, but was really nice to machine, but is a bit garish, and in your face, but it sounds really good..

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg