The future.

38 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

But "steel", actually iron, is considerably less than lead (IIRC up to a tenth the price)

The cost of the raw materials is miniscule in the overall cost of the end product. The only reason we are being pushed towards steel shot is because the industry that already makes steel ball bearings can produce steel shot in the quantities required by the cartridge industry.

There is no industrial need for copper shot so unless someone wants to start a factory from scratch ( highly unlikely in the present economic climate) there is no source for the cartridge industry to get copper shot.

Also although we will stop using lead shot I strongly suspect that most of the countries in Europe will simply ignore the ban. Like they do with most other legislation, and continue using lead shot.

Edited by Vince Green

34 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Just had a quick google,  Bismuth £38kg, bright copper £4.50 kg.  lead £1.50kg, 

What are these prices based on? is it new, scrap, or shot as the last lead shot I bought last year was £4.30 per kilo.

Also, and I don't know where I read it recently but said scrap copper from cable was an all time high at £7000 a tonne.

4 minutes ago, Bruno24 said:

What are these prices based on? is it new, scrap, or shot as the last lead shot I bought last year was £4.30 per kilo.

Also, and I don't know where I read it recently but said scrap copper from cable was an all time high at £7000 a tonne.

Just a quick google

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Just a quick google

Copper in cable is high purity but demand for copper generally is falling due to plastic replacing copper in plumbing applications

World commodity price for copper this morning was 4.02 dollars US per pound.

That works out close to your £7 grand a ton.

But the thing about lead is how easily it can be turned into shot. People do it in their garage