Gamedealers

If you are lucky enough to find one on your door step then don't give up your day job as you would  hardly get your fuel money back with a small to medium quantity , we have only got one in the whole of Norfolk and I believe they are only buying fresh Pigeons and not taking any frozen .

Good luck with your search ... you will need it .

No good to TR1 I know but I’m lucky enough to have a small game dealer in the next village who takes all the pigeons surplus to my requirements and another just 7 miles away.

OB

21 hours ago, TR1 said:

You are both correct , hardly worth the fuel money

If you ever want company from someone not looking for a permission but a few shoot days, I'd happily pay your fuel money for a 'free' day on the field. 

The facebook group that Fargo said is a great option, even if you barely make anything, it could mean they collect from you direct also. I don't know if the Hawk Conservancy buys cheap pigeons, but if they would buy from you, it's close by to me.

One of the problems with smallish bags is keeping them fresh as the weather start to warm up , in the height of the Summer it is neigh on impossible to keep them fresh more than a day or so , in fact I have had them blown by fly in the morning and at the end of the day when you lay them out to cool off the fly eggs have already hatched out with the dreaded maggots , so if you had to wait in until the person who want them cannot get to yours for a couple of days then they are already going green , that was the beauty of putting them in the freezer as soon as possible if laid out in a row or so at a time it will kill any eggs off , giving them away to the public could cause a problem if they fell ill after eating the Pigeons you have just waited in and gave them away for nothing , T b h , just not worth the hassle it could bring for doing a good deed .     MM

3 hours ago, HantsRob said:

If you ever want company from someone not looking for a permission but a few shoot days, I'd happily pay your fuel money for a 'free' day on the field. 

The facebook group that Fargo said is a great option, even if you barely make anything, it could mean they collect from you direct also. I don't know if the Hawk Conservancy buys cheap pigeons, but if they would buy from you, it's close by to me.

Going off subject (sorry), but the above post reminded me of a fabulous day I had many years ago with Ashley Smith of the Hawk Conservancy where a party of us each had a Harris hawk and with the help of ferrets to catch a few rabbits and a pointer to put up the odd pheasant. Does Ashley still run the Hawk Conservancy, HantsRob?

It`s a very long time since I`ve had a young bird on my arm.:yahoo:.

OB

22 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Going off subject (sorry), but the above post reminded me of a fabulous day I had many years ago with Ashley Smith of the Hawk Conservancy where a party of us each had a Harris hawk and with the help of ferrets to catch a few rabbits and a pointer to put up the odd pheasant. Does Ashley still run the Hawk Conservancy, HantsRob?

It`s a very long time since I`ve had a young bird on my arm.:yahoo:.

OB

Ashley is still there, yes! I saw him late last year, and to my knowledge he's still there. Really amazing fella, and I think I have a great photo of a bald headed eagle on my arm on a day he and his team hosted. I will reach out and see if they take pigeons for free (seems better than disposing!), and then I shall focus if I can find someone to take me on the field to get them some! :D

It's not the age of the bird, it's the quality ;)