PPF or Ceramic Coating

Anyone had either or recommend one or the other, or possibly both.

I am fed up of getting scratches on my paintwork from branches etc when off road ((and on road when some narrow lanes haven't had the hedges trimmed) so was wondering how best to protect.

It seems to me that paint on new vehicles is getting thinner and thinner and therefore more prone to damage?

Ceramic coating won't do much for you with regards to scratches. At best it makes the paint easier to clean, less prone to swirl marks and sun/ UV damage. 

A good PPF along the front and sides of the vehicle should do the trick and be self healing to a degree though you will need to get it replaced periodically as it will start to look tatty and sustain damage that it can't self heal. 

The paint on new vehicles is very soft compared to what it was like on older vehicles. I took delivery of a new VW SUV just prior to the shooting season two years ago and on the first day of the season just barely touched the bumper with the end of the gun barrels as I let the dog out the boot and it took a big gouge out the paint. Modern factory fresh paint stays quite soft and needs a good few months to 'cure'. 

I've just learnt not to be too bothered about it and schedule a paint correction and detail once a year to bring out the hedge rash and fill in the stone chips. Costs less than a full PPF and the car looks as new every year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and I have decided to go for "Poor Shot" suggestion and see how it goes.

The car is only 8 months old and is currently undergoing full spraying to bonnet and one of the doors and stage 2 polish to all other panels apart from the roof and boot door - £2,300!! but still cheaper than a full wrap 

On 04/04/2024 at 15:25, Poor Shot said:

Ceramic coating won't do much for you with regards to scratches. At best it makes the paint easier to clean, less prone to swirl marks and sun/ UV damage. 

A good PPF along the front and sides of the vehicle should do the trick and be self healing to a degree though you will need to get it replaced periodically as it will start to look tatty and sustain damage that it can't self heal. 

The paint on new vehicles is very soft compared to what it was like on older vehicles. I took delivery of a new VW SUV just prior to the shooting season two years ago and on the first day of the season just barely touched the bumper with the end of the gun barrels as I let the dog out the boot and it took a big gouge out the paint. Modern factory fresh paint stays quite soft and needs a good few months to 'cure'. 

I've just learnt not to be too bothered about it and schedule a paint correction and detail once a year to bring out the hedge rash and fill in the stone chips. Costs less than a full PPF and the car looks as new every year. 

Hope the gun is alright? 
It sounds as if I would dare to buy a well looked after secondhand car from you, but wouldn’t want to buy your gun!

53 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Thanks and I have decided to go for "Poor Shot" suggestion and see how it goes.

The car is only 8 months old and is currently undergoing full spraying to bonnet and one of the doors and stage 2 polish to all other panels apart from the roof and boot door - £2,300!! but still cheaper than a full wrap 

Trying to keep a new car clean and fresh while using it for fieldsports you're just fighting a losing battle. The terrain, wet, mud and narrow, hedge lined country roads are hard on cars. 

A detail once a year keeps them in a reasonable shape. 

My next car will certainly be an older land rover of some description. At least the patina of hedge scratches will be considered character and not damage as it would with any other car. I'm done with new cars and trying to keep them in a reasonable shape. An excitable spaniel does not give a toss about carefully entering and exiting the boot without catching the bumper and plastics with its muddy paws. 

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

Hope the gun is alright? 
It sounds as if I would dare to buy a well looked after secondhand car from you, but wouldn’t want to buy your gun!

I'm as obsessive with my guns as I am with my cars but I do accept that accidents will happen.. In this case it was just some first day excitement mixed with being rushed by the shoot captain to get going. The contact between gun and car was so minimal you would struggle to believe that the damage that was caused was from the ever so slight 'Donk' between barrel and bumper. 

No damage to the gun and luckily it was a cheap Turkish 28 bore and not one of my better guns. I blame the unfinished nature of the Turkish barrel ends on the amount of damage caused. I believe that the more rounded and well finished barrel end of a more expensive gun would have simply bounced off the bumper and not gouged the paint out.