Bioammo Blue No4 Shot

21 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I don't have any scales, but if you PM me your address, I'll send you the contents of one thats been cut open.

Peter, thank you very much indeed. I'm happy to do this but there may just be an easier way for you to help. If you have ALL of the contents pellet-wise, counting the number would suffice for my needs - I appreciate that the cartridge may not be spot on the nominal weight stamped on the case but it will be close enough and I'd just also need what that nominal weight was. If you can't be sure that you have them all, then I would need some pellets. PM inbound.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Peter, thank you very much indeed. I'm happy to do this but there may just be an easier way for you to help. If you have ALL of the contents pellet-wise, counting the number would suffice for my needs - I appreciate that the cartridge may not be spot on the nominal weight stamped on the case but it will be close enough and I'd just also need what that nominal weight was. If you can't be sure that you have them all, then I would need some pellets. PM inbound.

No problem - I've cut open a new cartridge and borrowed a pair of scales. 

The shot from the 27g cartridge comes in at 27g for 218 pellets

20240413_151354.jpg

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

Peter,

I have replied here and also sent details by PM. Both have disappeared into the ether. I will PM as soon as is possible

PM sent - I think I must have had a couple of senior moments and forgot to press 'submit'. :oops:

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Peter, you have a PM. As soon as I hear from you I can hit the 'submit' button - as long as I remember to do so. 

There we go. You will have realised that this programme is for rifle work and all we need for this is the first three vertical columns, but it's easier to leave all as is rather than scratch around deleting what isn't required.

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

There we go. You will have realised that this programme is for rifle work and all we need for this is the first three vertical columns, but it's easier to leave all as is rather than scratch around deleting what isn't required.

That's great thanks - much appreciated 👍 

On 13/04/2024 at 15:39, PeterHenry said:

20240413_151354.jpg

Well that puts them just over 8 to a gramm 5 shot is 10/11 to gram so they come out pretty much the weight of standard steel. 

All we need is the wads they use available in various calibers and were good to go. 

Doubt we'll get them though. 

I'm perfectly content with lead shot and have no intention of changing. My timeline is such that I don't think I'll have to unless Labour win the next election and immediately before anything else bans its use. Consequently, just on the off chance and as I have the time I do keep half an eye on what's going on. From the available options, the Bio ammo Blue has caught my eye. The problem is though that the figures published in the media are all over the place and so contradictory such that obtaining a reasonably accurate idea of what's what as a starting point is impossible. This is not helped by the variations from the norm which Bio have used in their sizing. I am not for one minute saying that this is excessive in practice, but with the help of the media it is making life difficult having to choose which figures to believe. It did catch me out a couple of times when trying to see what was what when trying to print some some results.

With Peter's kind help I have got the No 4s sorted. If anyone feels inclined to have a fiddle, individual pellet weight (or number of pellets and load weight) plus their diameter ( it seems that this can be iffy and requires  more than the usual average as they can be oval-ish) for the 5s and 6s would give me game, set and match. I would put my findings on here.

MTIA

We're told that apparently CIP have put a limit on this material of 425m/s at the MV2.5. Also, we're told, that measuring at the 2.5m is no good - it's far better to use 25m as that's where stuff is shot. To this end, again apparently, the No4's little brother, No6 is doing 251m/s at this distance. Any shotgun ballistic measurement assumes that the shot is a fairly well  made sphere which we know that these are not. Also any measurements are  averages based. It's impossible to be accurate as the variously given figures are all over the place. Suffice to say taking all this into account I would imagine CIP would have something to say about the MV required to achieve that velocity 

On 13/04/2024 at 15:39, PeterHenry said:

20240413_151354.jpg

Is it me or are those pellets all different sizes ?

2 minutes ago, holloway said:

Is it me or are those pellets all different sizes ?

Some of them were sitting on others - so appered larger than they actually are.

They aren't uniform in shape, but they are nowhere near as bad as the photo looks.