Red diesel

6 hours ago, amateur said:

So you have bigger toys and a larger area to play in, but aren't in agricultural production.

I still don't see why you should dodge tax?

If the OP meets the requiremetns he won't be 'dodging tax', simply avoiding it as the law allows.

Most people practice tax avoidance throughout the year - it is lawful and not immoral. When someone factors, for example, car tax into a choice of purchase that is a form of tax avoidance. Savings, inheritance planning and so on are all forms of lawful (and sensible) tax avoidance. Tax evasion is another matter and increasingly these days people are almost deliberately confusing the two.

If someone has a tractor, classed as Agricultural and thus zero rated for road tax the law allows them to use red diesel for agricultural or forestry purposes provided they meet the categories shown in this article. https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/red-diesel-rule-changes-hmrc-spells-out-dos-and-donts

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LeadWasp said:

If the OP meets the requiremetns he won't be 'dodging tax', simply avoiding it as the law allows.

Most people practice tax avoidance throughout the year - it is lawful and not immoral. When someone factors, for example, car tax into a choice of purchase that is a form of tax avoidance. Savings, inheritance planning and so on are all forms of lawful (and sensible) tax avoidance. Tax evasion is another matter and increasingly these days people are almost deliberately confusing the two.

If someone has a tractor, classed as Agricultural and thus zero rated for road tax the law allows them to use red diesel for agricultural or forestry purposes provided they meet the categories shown in this article. https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/red-diesel-rule-changes-hmrc-spells-out-dos-and-donts

What your saying is absolutely right, at no point have I said I am trying to dodge any tax, from the looks of how it’s been set up now I won’t qualify to use red diesel any more. Thanks for all the helpful links and advice.

Edited by countryman

10 minutes ago, countryman said:

What your saying is absolutely right, at no point have I said I am trying to dodge any tax, from the looks of how it’s been set up now I won’t qualify to use red diesel any more. Thanks for all the helpful links and advice.

Is your land agriculturally rated for planning purposes?  If it's not in production could it be classed as set-aside?

You won't be able to used red around stables/livery yards or anything horsey other than fodder production.

Edited by LeadWasp

14 minutes ago, LeadWasp said:

I've just read that article, what a ridiculous mess.  Totally unnecessary, and introduced by a Tory Chancellor (one R Sunak).  Unsurprisingly, the costs have been passed straight on to the consumer - e.g. in construction.  Then, the same genius wonders why inflation is so high.

Not since the tax situation for those with buy-to-lets has there been such a spectacular own-goal, that's ended up costing everyone more, and resulted in lost tax revenue.

Oh no, wait, IR 35.

This deliberate conflation between avoidance between evasion, implying some form of moral superiority, is frankly a level of debate I'd expect on the BBC.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I've just read that article, what a ridiculous mess.  Totally unnecessary, and introduced by a Tory Chancellor (one R Sunak).  Unsurprisingly, the costs have been passed straight on to the consumer - e.g. in construction.  Then, the same genius wonders why inflation is so high.

Not since the tax situation for those with buy-to-lets has there been such a spectacular own-goal, that's ended up costing everyone more, and resulted in lost tax revenue.

Oh no, wait, IR 35.

This deliberate conflation between avoidance between evasion, implying some form of moral superiority, is frankly a level of debate I'd expect on the BBC.

i believe it was a Euro law (that came in 12 months since) that for some reason we had to implement. 

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Not sure how Amateur ended up taking stick on this thread, as he is correct. Some people just don't like facing reality.

Thanks 👍🏻