Taking shotgun to Canada

12 hours ago, nipperfox said:

Hi all

Going to visit son who is keepering in Canada. I’m going to take him my AYA no2.

Any advice on flying with a shotgun from UK to Canada would be much appreciated.

Somehow this hit my curiosity button. So I googled “the regulations on taking a shotgun from UK to Canada”  there’s interesting info from Canada Border Agency, RCMP and BASC. As to the requirements of flying with one, posing a similar question Gov.UK confirms “hold luggage only and check with your airline”

Made an interesting read over coffee. 😵💫

In fairness, the removal from your licence is more of a question to your firearms team. But you are in essence exporting a gun, regardless of gift intention, as it has a value that you are exporting with a view of it not returning.

You will also need to confirm with the local police how you transfer it to that person to conform with registrations etc.

You may find it easier to export it via post as a gift, but with a value for customs/insurance, and then the export certificate will show your firearms team you have not just sold it but exported it abroad. I am not sure they'll accept "I gifted it abroad and hand delivered". I may be wrong.

I am not an expert on this by any means. However, taking good sound advice from your firearms dep’t has to be a good starting point. In basic pragmatic terms, I would have confidence that it is doable, as there is a UK legal system for taking a gun abroad and equally one for transferring guns in Canada. 

Good luck and have a great trip.

P.S it’s interesting that your son is a keeper in Canada. I didn’t even realise driven game shooting was catered for over there. We live and learn. 

28 minutes ago, nipperfox said:

£700/800 to post😂😂😂😂😂

flight tickets cheaper and I get to see my son.

It's still an import to the country, and an export from here.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

That's the Canadian side.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/firearms-and-export-control-forms

That's to export from here.

I completely get saving money, but legally you sound like you're circumventing import and export fees, and trying to do it cheaply. I get it, but I don't think you can do what you think you want to do.

There is s helpful section on the BASC website “Taking Firearms Abroad”. It lists the countries commonly visited with firearms from the UK. Click on the Canada link. Tonnes of good info there as a starting point. There will be a process - it’s just finding it…..?! I think from this you will at least know who to approach for necessary advice at both ends. 

Pretty sure it's an export import job. I have been involved with exporting arms to the USA and Ireland it's a red tape marathon. Plus the shipping as mentioned. 

Tracey at PBS International will tell you exactly what is required. She's my go to when I need to get guns to the US or Ireland. But I've never sent any to Canada. Even though I lived there ten years :) They are based at Gatwick.