Windy days don`t always mean pigeon

henry d

I have just come back from a fairly poor mornings decoying on stubbles, all week they have been on the fields in their 100`s but today the wind is, according to the beeb, 50+mph gusting to 80 :lol:

There were 2 good flightlines from early on either side of the spread, but they didn`t want to know. The magnet arms kept folding back on themselves and the pigeons on it kept having their wings wrenched out of the holders. So I decided to use the bouncer and that kept being blown either side on or upside down it was that windy.

I managed to get 9, should have been 10 but one must have been a runner and is, sadly, elsewhere :good: One trick that seemed to work was the old "Under-arm Lob" of a dead pigeon, that pulled 3 birds in that looked to be slipping away from me.

I think the problem was the wind(no beans next time :good: ) I think they were heading into the woods to get peace from the wind and feed on the mast and acorns.

Anyone else had it so windy it was almost useless trying to decoy ??

Was out at dawn through the wood this morn checking the local Deer population out,and i put up 3 lots of about 50-70 pigeon feeding on Beech Mast.

The woods are full of them at the moment and we shot 22 on our 1st pheasant day last Fri....crops full of beech and acorns.

Though 1 of the farmers rang to say that wheat stubble he,s leaving all winter has been full of pigeon and corvids all week,so weather permitting,i,ll be decoying that in the morn.Will let u know how i get on.

Oh and the Deer...walked around a corner onto 3 not 12yds away :lol: ,then had a fox step out onto the path about 15-yds away.Off before i could mount the gun :good: Saw about 14 Squirrels,then heard the Magpies and Jays going beserk,thought aha the fox is still about so gave a call.Within 20secs 2 Buzzards were in a tree about 30yds away :lol: .Ah well,was a very pleasant walk out anyway :good:

GH

mr smith and myself went out today and only had five pigeons coming into the decoys....... there were hundreds on a field about half a mile away but it was far too windy!!.

we ended up on the skirts of woods popping at crows and pigeons.. we had a few crows and pigeons and one really stupid rabit lol :good:

no probs mr s..

we should get another day sorted next time you are off..

we might even get up early and get a full day!!

pm me your addy and i will send you a copy o that crow shooting vid!!

good watching!!!

:good:

although it was quiet it was still enjoyable!!!

went out on sunday with gusts of wind around 25-30mph and rain showers on stubble ended with a 149 pigeons 1 magpie 1 crow it was good sport with some coming down wind, So it can work with high winds if every thing goes right.

Karl - have the 'new' bird flu outbreak restrictions affected your pigeon shooting yet?