Miroku MK60

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used MK60 for a while and with the game season fast approaching I'm starting to seriously consider it. It would be a real chunk of change for my limited resources so want to have a proper look and get some trigger time to make sure before making the leap. 

There are a couple of local clay grounds with gun shops that I'm keeping an eye on but none of them have any in stock at the minute. Are there any obliging souls in the PW community that shoot at Hazel Bank, Thimbleby, Rufforth or other grounds near Harrogate that might be willing to let me do a round with them?

In return I can offer lukewarm banter, a sense of superiority as you watch me struggle and of course, I'll pay for your round

The MK60 was positioned as the ‘Universal’ Sporter, an attempt to sell it as a crossover game/clays gun with its 8 mil rib and fixed chokes. However it was more strongly adopted as a game gun - especially high pheasants. The MK38 has always been the out and out dedicated sporter in their range, multi chokes, 10 mil rib, recoil pad, adjustable trigger and more heft. Both fine guns. Very different in stock dimensions however. 

There are pre `Universal` Mk 60 & 70 models ! The gun I referred to has a 10mm Sporter rib .I shot an MK70 Sporter for several years similarly adorned also. There are many variations of Miroku about !!!!

6 hours ago, matone said:

There are pre `Universal` Mk 60 & 70 models ! The gun I referred to has a 10mm Sporter rib .I shot an MK70 Sporter for several years similarly adorned also. There are many variations of Miroku about !!!!

Ah OK, haven’t come across this pre ‘universal’ MK60 with a 10 mil rib. Yes the 70 is different beast again - a sporter for sure. I have owned one also. 

I would still maintain however that the main production run of 60s (universal) has been primarily adopted and regarded as a driven game gun. I owned one of these also and it was a superbly balanced gun with its 30” barrels. There used to be a bit of a cult - if you can call it that - for these 60s in the driven world. You can therefore understand the OP referring to it as a ‘game gun’. Foolishly I sold mine for a fancier gun which wasn’t such a hitter. Haven’t we all been there…..?! We live and learn. 

My only concern for the OPs sake is that the current (and recent) 60s are sold as a ‘lead only’ gun. The new ones even have a barrel label to this effect. Perhaps not future proof…..?

27 minutes ago, superfastpigeon said:

thanks @Fellside. You're right but I think the 'lead shot only' is probably down to the 3/4 fixed choke. Sure it'd be fine with standard steel if i had it teagued...in no rush to transition to steel until necessary though! 

Yes good point - should be OK with standard steel. Lovely handling gun with 30” barrels BTW. Have you put one to your shoulder yet?

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Yes good point - should be OK with standard steel. Lovely handling gun with 30” barrels BTW. Have you put one to your shoulder yet?

Yes I have, nice in the hand but always hard to get a proper feel just following lines in ceiling at a shop. What I've seen I really like though

1 hour ago, superfastpigeon said:

Yes I have, nice in the hand but always hard to get a proper feel just following lines in ceiling at a shop. What I've seen I really like though

As long as it wasn’t Asda you’ll be alright….. 😁. Seriously though, yes try before you buy is always good if you can. Incidentally I remember those fixed chokes throwing really good quality patterns with Eley VIPs - I tested them on cardboard. The 3/4 choke pulled down some high stuff. 

• 1 month later...