Shotgun servicing

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That makes me quite pleased that I have a basic side by side non ejector and a couple of fairly easy to clean O/Us. 

I’ve never handled a semi-auto and certainly wouldn’t know how to even load one.

If I took one apart as above I feel sure that I would end up with a few bits left over when it was reassembled 😂.

I do however appreciate the pleasure that those who use them get from the cleaning process.

Nice garden, by the way JDog.

OB

That comment has warmed my heart.

I have always been scared to strip a gun in case I messed up, but I have found the semi so insanely simple to strip and clean. I certaily wouldn't try it on a modern OU, and would mentally crumble if I felt I had to. It was actually Smudger on here who encouraged me constantly and offered to drive over if I messed up, which is all the confidence I needed. Having seen how simple it was for the M2 I feel more confident to do more fixes and cleaning, however I am also aware of my limitations. 

It does give me great pleasure to clean it, I may even consider cleaning my trigger group on my DT if it ever needs it. It did take me 2 years to pluck up the courage to remove the stock on a gun!

Westley - fair comment about the firing pins. I know someone who had the odd misfire, but pins looked okay. I suggested removing them and cleaning the bore that they run in, before buying new pins.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Westley - fair comment about the firing pins. I know someone who had the odd misfire, but pins looked okay. I suggested removing them and cleaning the bore that they run in, before buying new pins.

Yes, the firing pin housing is a pig to clean, but is a 'must' to do. I use fine wet and dry wrapped around a kebab stick, followed by bore solvent and pipe cleaners. A build up of crud in the housing can stop or reduce the travel of the firing pin. The bottom barrel pin is always the worst, both for crud and difficulty in cleaning.