Holts bargain follow up

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

In over 60 years of shooting I have never seen much less handled a Darne gun. I know Gough Thomas rated them highly.

I bought mine cheaply around 40 years ago.  They were always very expensive new, but for nothing second hand.  You have to respect the engineering, which is (on mine anyway which is a top spec model v21) very well done.

On the plus side, they are light (my 12 is a whisker under 6 lbs), very fast handling as there is no lower rib, so what weight there is is very central and apparently very strong.  Mine has also been 100% reliable.

On the minus side, they kick like a mule, are slow to reload, and you cannot alter the bend/cast of the stock (unless you re-stock).  The safety catch works backwards (but it is French).

It's a nice talking piece, I shoot it at clays occasionally.  It's rare to see them in the field.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I bought mine cheaply around 40 years ago.  They were always very expensive new, but for nothing second hand.  You have to respect the engineering, which is (on mine anyway which is a top spec model v21) very well done.

On the plus side, they are light (my 12 is a whisker under 6 lbs), very fast handling as there is no lower rib, so what weight there is is very central and apparently very strong.  Mine has also been 100% reliable.

On the minus side, they kick like a mule, are slow to reload, and you cannot alter the bend/cast of the stock (unless you re-stock).  The safety catch works backwards (but it is French).

It's a nice talking piece, I shoot it at clays occasionally.  It's rare to see them in the field.

Nice guns for walked up shooting though light fast handling and as you don’t have many shots the reload and recoil I can live with 😊

19 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

A chap I have done work for, his  Darne which is a 16 bore Chris, he has more money than sense and arms like a gorilla, had it re- stocked so it would fit him. It handles really well now, needless to say I did the case for it

C6F765B0-D515-4EBD-B23E-DFA8F120A693.jpeg

That is a lovely piece of walnut, set off by the case that you made a brilliant job of as usual Alan.

I must admit that, as JohnfromUK has said, the engineering is second to none.

• 2 weeks later...