tested decoys in the garden

Hello to you all,

I am new to this game and I've just got a dozen decoys, I decided to set them out in the back garden for a few hours to see if this decoying is effective as its sounds.

Well guys I was amazed to count 11 pigeons within an hour come falling out of the sky showing a real interest in my decoys. non of them landed but all fell into a good shooting range with three of them landing on the garden fence, and cooing at the decoys for 5 minutes before flying off.

I am going for some recces over the next few days untill I get my pigeon magnet delivered, but I am much more confiedant that i will bag some on my first outing on the decoys.

I have shot just walking through the woods for the last couple of years and I'm thinking that I have been missing out on some top class sport, but I too will have some pigeons to my name over the next year I'm sure.

Are there any more novice decoyers out there like me and if so what were your results on your first outing?

It seems by reading some of the topics that I have chosen a difficult month to put a good bag together. What are the best months for pigeon shooting?

Bye for now

Happy Shooting

Justin

Good luck with your shooting and welcome to the wonderfull world of pigeon shooting.

Pigeons are breeding at present and my mates and I leave them alone at this time of year untill about the middle of July just to give them a chance during the first breeding season of the year but thats just our personal choice.

Your could try shooting other vermin at this time of year eg crows/magpies/rooks, they can be good sport and help the farmers.

your results on your first outing?

What are the best months for pigeon shooting?

Welcome to the wonderful sport of pigeon shooting PM.

My first session with decoys is indelibly etched in my mind. I was 17 had just got my first 12g. My Grandfather, Father and I shot a rape field in 1976 near Northhampton. We used wooden decoys and shot over 150 birds in a 6 hour session. Most of them fell to Gramp and Dad and I am afraid I shot about 20 if that. I was hooked from that day. I remember my Gran de-breasting every bird and packing them into Gramps new freezer.

In my opinion nothing compares to a really cold winters day in February over winter rape. If the birds are in a feeding mood they hit the deeks with gay abandon and fall out of the sky like little kamikaze pilots, with a slight breeze behind them the shooting can be breathtaking.

For me December to February have always been the best months.

Good luck,

FM

Hi justin!

It looks like you have taken that seriously!I love pigeon shooting and go out regularly but I have never tried my decoys in the garden.I hope you have received your field list(I have received mine) and you will soon start the real thing.Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Hi guys and cheers for the welcoming comments,

I also got my list today Doc, and I have just come back from recce on a bean field quite local to me so I will be phoning John tonight so i can get it booked for a day next week.

John Deacon has promised me my magnet will be with me for monday at the lastest so from that day, I will have all the gear and no idea but we all start like this dont we.

When i drove up to the bean field today there was a few pigeons took up and 3 flew over the field while I was there so I'm hoping they stick around when I turn up.

I dont think I will get as much action as FM but one can only hope, that sort of action would have anyone addicted for life I'm sure.

:yp: I'll be happy just sat in my hide next to a field with my silver pigeon poking over the top and if nothing turns up then thats just the way it goes. I,ve sat on many river banks allday and never had a bite so I guess it'll be a bit like that.

Bye for now and I will update the forum with my results at a later date.

Happy Shooting

Justin

:yp: PM welcome to the sport of pigeon shooting but i would certainly look for another crop other than beans. In my experiance they are a good crop only when the beans themselves are on the ground as at sowing time but even better at harvesting when they have popped out of the pods onto the ground. The pigeons don't normally go for the green plants in anything like they do on peas or rape.

Spring sown rape at the moment is attracting them in my area with the plants about 4" high.

Best of luck anyway. :)

:D I'll be happy just sat in my hide next to a field with my silver pigeon poking over the top and if nothing turns up then thats just the way it goes. I,ve sat on many river banks allday and never had a bite so I guess it'll be a bit like that.

Thats what its all about mate, any day is a good day whether you shoot pigeon or catch fish... :yp:

Ive had a few blanks at both in my time :):D

Enjoy it!

FM.

Hello again,

ernyha I take your comment about not shooting over beans, these are about 10" high.

I had a look at it the other day and there were a few birds on it but I dont expect the sport to fast and furious, I do have some spring rape to shoot over so I will have at look at that next week so cheers for the tip.

I'm out on Monday so wish me luck.

Happy shooting

Hi guys,

I went out on monday and shot over a bean field for my first time.

I set up at 14.00 and sat there roasting in the sun untill about 5 when it became overcast.

I just went with the shell decoys and I guess they didnt stand out very well untill the pigeons were over the top of them but to see them react to them was just amazing.

I only shot two and I should have done better but seeing them fold there wings and dive towards the decoys got the adrenaline going that much I cocked some shots up, but it was just getting out onto new ground that made the day.

My hide skills must be spot on but being ex forces it should be, I had a hare sat 10 yards infront of me with a cock pheasant and two partridges in the afternoon so the kept me entertained untill some birds come in.

You may have seen a post with me asking for some birds for the magnet and thanks to the local guys who offered me some but I have some now so the magnets out next time.

These pigeons are a little harder than busting clays so I guess I'm hooked now, I saw two carrion crows trying to get a lapwings eggs or young, hassled them all day they did, but they were a little higher up the field so I think I will save two number six for them next time I'm out.

Well I thought I would just let you all know how must first day out went so untill the next time,

Happy shooting

Justin

Glad to see you enjoyed your day PM...

As you no doubt know its not all about bagging up with shot Pigeon.

Those bloody crows do so much damage this time of year to all the ground nesting species and their chicks... LET THEM HAVE IT! MATE....

last week I saw two Juveniles on my back lawn playing tug of war with a baby blackbird the blackbird unfortunately didnt survive but neither did one of the crows he got 14.5 grains of best british lead through his bonce. I could have shot the other one too if there had been another pellet chambered in my Axor!

Let us know how you get on with your next trip out.

FM.