Knives

claydodger

Saw a post on Sunday about knives, don't know if he was selling without a price or in the wrong section, thought I'd reply about the William Rodgers, but the post was removed, so I'll post my photos anyway, these are not for sale by the way.  I bought the one in the scabbard for five bob in around 1960, the other four I can't remember where they came from, they are all William Rodgers.

IMG_6705b.jpg

IMG_6707b.jpg

IMG_6708b.jpg

IMG_6711.JPG

My uncle gave me one of those knives at the top in the 90’s which I am sure was pretty old. I could never get a sharp edge on it. 

I ended up using it a few years ago for opening bags of coal and accidentally left it in the coal scuttle. Only to find the burn mangled blade and completely destroyed handle one morning when cleaning out the ashes. 

33 minutes ago, joejoe said:

My uncle gave me one of those knives at the top in the 90’s which I am sure was pretty old. I could never get a sharp edge on it. 

I ended up using it a few years ago for opening bags of coal and accidentally left it in the coal scuttle. Only to find the burn mangled blade and completely destroyed handle one morning when cleaning out the ashes. 

That's a pity, I never like to lose knives or tools given or bought, when I used go fishing as a lad my mates dad made me a gutting knife out of saw blade steel, the handle was wrapped in twine and dipped in some form of resin and was very sharp, sadly I lost it.   

On 03/07/2024 at 07:56, Mable said:

In the 60s it was an everyday occurrence to see Boy Scouts with one of those on their belts.

No one even considered it odd to be openly carrying a knife back then. Knife crime as far as I'm aware was not a problem. People are the problem, not tools.

I always carried one on my belt and still have it.