Ammo for the Anti's

JONO

On last nights local news:-

Wyevale garden centre near Thornbury apparently approached Defra for permission to shoot a family of robins in its garden centre the other day.

The birds had chosen, unwisely, to nest in the cafeteria and the centre was concerned of any potential health risk involving their faeces. Additonally the birds had an extra nuisance factor in setting off fire alarms as they flew by.

The report was pretty damning as were the reactions of many of the locals who were asked "loaded questions" - yet B&Q quite hapily were filmed in the same article, having discovered a robin's nest, leaving a whole pallet of plants to die in order to avoid disturbing the nest.

It didn't mention anything about the method of shooting - I'm presuming an air rifle over a shotgun but the RSPB and antis were up in arms, as was Mrs Jono but I'm totally undecided although see it as a tragedy.

FMike - any thought yourself my Gloucestershire-based, ornithologically minded, fellow shooter-type matey?

Jon

Yes mate, I was horrified to read of this. Poor Bobby is our national bird I would have thought the garden centre could have put up with the inconvenience during its short rearing period.

As for the faeces Robins normally remove the faeceal sack from the young bird and drop it away from the nest to avoid possible predation. I suppose it could accidently drop this in an unknowing customers coffee. :( I would have thought the risk to public health was minimal as the bird would probably carry less parasitic and bacterial pests than your average guide dog or domestic cat.

Also it seems to defeat the object of what garden centres are all about. We buy plants not just to make our gardens pleasing on the eye but to attract all sorts of wildlife into the garden. I was sat in an outdoor cafe in Bristol only last week and seagull **** was dropping everywhere, now that is a health hazzard. If only I had my 12 g with me I could have had several left and right!

Do you know if the Cull was eventually carried out Jono?.

FM

Hi Mike,

I'd agree about the robins - shame really and the thing has been blown out of all proportion but, as you say, Garden Centres are, for many countless thousands of people, their main exposure to all that is green and good in these our fair isles.

So for one to take a short-sighted view over cups of tea may have seriously damaged its reputation - should have just taken the hit on the canteen or organised for the RSPB to perhaps move the nest (if possible/lawful).

Either way a tragedy and their choice of dispatch, whilst humane, will only aid those blinkered few that think such actions are common place and that everything is game/fun/sport for the shooter.

Seagulls are trhe bane of my life as I live on a flightline between their feeding station (a landfill to the East of Bristol) and their nesting sites towards the centre - what a racket and first thing/last thing as well.

I believe there was/is some culling in process in so far as removing/substituting eggs from rooftops etc but I'm tempted to email the council for further details.

Best regards

Jon

They could have easily removed or destroyed the nest before the birds had hatched or layed Jono, The parents would abandon it and rebuild and raise another brood somewhere else.

As you say a great shame, no doubt an Air rifle is used and as you say Joe Public (Antis in particular) wont concern themselves with the reasons, just that they heard someone has shot a family of Robins in South Glos with an air rifle.I think the whole thing has been handled very badly.

FM.

So hows your sporting life at the mo?

I start my sea trout season next Friday (how disciplined am I to wait almost two months!) so am busy tying up my plethora and spectrum of flies etc for that much anticipated first cast in the gloom. I think the Ogmore at Bridgend might be in order.

Aside from that I'm going to go to either the Barrows or Blagdon on Friday afternoon - due some cloud cover and possibly some showers so I'm hoping for great things!

Shot three times in the past two months - just the odd pigeon and bunny but I'm looking forward to my hayfever medication kicking in and getting out there with the decoys once more.

Looking at houses up your way as well (roughly Stroud area) any recommendations of villages, small towns and especially estate agents in the area?

Jon

Jono.

Have been doing a lot of lamping recently with some success, Bloody rabbits everywhere on my rough shoot.

I havent raised a gun to a bird since the end of April as I do tend to observe my own close season and probably wont get the deeks out until the stubble .

had a two day fishing trip last week, fished a private lake in Oxfordshire which used to be a medievel carp fishery. There are som big uns in it up to 40lbs. I had 3 in the 22 to 28lb mark and my friend had 6 the biggest mirror hitting 32lb

I also had a 7lb bream and 2 BIG rudd.

A couple of weeks ago had an afternoon & evening on the Coln behind my parents house and took three browns for 4lb 1 oz and 4 Grayling around the 1lb mark all on a size 20 dry alder. Great Stuff!

If your thinking of moving up around the Stroud area check out Andrews or Parkers estate agents I think both have webb sites.

Dursley, Wotton-under-Edge, Berkeley, & Cam all have something going for them mate and offer good motorway access.

Dont forget our day on the stubble in Autumn! Perhaps we could book and share a day on the boat at Blag later in the year mate???

FM.

CHeers for those four and the estate agents...looking between there and Taunton so there's a heck of a lot of research involved!

I figured you'd be on the bunnies and corvids rather than pigeon...I still haven't managed to secure any decent rabbiting to be honest although I cam e close to getting a golf course..as such your ex-Gamo has been largely unused save for some occasional target practise.

You're a bit of an all rounder, aren't you?! Maggot-drowning one day (not my thing) delightful brownies on a meandering stream trhe next... well done! (I'm planning to get into some cheap fly fishing for perch (tasty - just like a sea bass)

Autumn decopying sounds great and I'd be delighted to share a boat at Blagdon for the day/afternoon/evening - just let me know when.

Right, work beckons

Rgds

Jon

Let's not lose perspective here guys.

It was undesirable, but when we get to brass tacks:

They weren't tortured, they were dispatched cleanly.

Don't let yourselves become bunny huggers by proxy, you'll only encourage them!

We often hear crazy stories about nests holding up building work or whatever, heartwarming? No - stupid.

Not to long ago a nesting gull prevented work on a roof for several weeks, not a rare great crested whatsit, a blimmin 'orrible pest. Should have just shot the blighter.

ver·min ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vûrmn)

n. pl. vermin

Various small animals or insects, such as rats or cockroaches, that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health.

Animals that prey on game, such as foxes or weasels.

A person considered loathsome or highly offensive.

Such people considered as a group.

From the online dictionary

all the best yis yp :(

• 2 weeks later...