Fibre Wad Cart Advice Please!!

I shoot clays and recently used plastic wads for the first time. My scores doubled!! Granted I had been using cheap fibre wad carts but the difference in speed and accuracy was amazing!!

I'm looking for a really good quality fibre wad cart, which acts just like a plastic wad cart.

Want something fast, not bothered about recoil.

What do you all recommend, any favourites?

I use fibre and normally the cheapest i can find....

I dont usually notice my scores changing if i use plastic but then again they are never that good anyway!!!

The thing i do notice is the cleaning time but that is distracting from the original post.

All i can recall from conversations is that the plastic cup contains the shot for a little longer giving a better shot stream and the cup protects the shot on the way down the barrel.

I have never heard of top shots using fibre.

I dont think that you can compare the two types, but just cartridges say there own brand CSP carts have the same performance in fibre and plastic.

Someone correct me if i am wrong

What fibre were you using and what did you use in plastics

I used claybuster 28g 7 1/2 in fibre and tried Express HV plastic but they were 24g 8 so not an accurate comparison really

All i have noticed is that for the cheapest fibre now is £136 for Eley First and Blues in plastic are £140 so are you getting a middle of the road cart in plastic for the price of a cheapy in fibre?

as it happens last week I was going to buy 250 plastics and 250 fibre just to compare as virtually every one i see is using plastic

I will have to keep you updated

I what way were the plastics better i have only used about 50 plastics and i noticed the recoil was less and the cleaning required was a lot less

But from what you have said plastic (if allowed) is the way foreward

The difference blew me away.

It was the same day, same stand, 15 mins apart. It was exactly the same for my shooting buddy.

They were much faster, and there were never any "how did I miss that!!" moments. I just can't begin to explain the difference, it was like chalk and cheese.

The difference blew me away.

It was the same day, same stand, 15 mins apart. It was exactly the same for my shooting buddy.

They were much faster, and there were never any "how did I miss that!!" moments. I just can't begin to explain the difference, it was like chalk and cheese.

Nothing to do with having already shot it and knowing exactly what was coming then :angry: :unsure:

SS

If you want a fibre-wadded shell with a bit of umph, then you need a shell with a plastic obturator (gas-seal) underneath the fibre wad.

Then, I suppose, it ceases to become a true fibre shell; BUT, some plastic obturators are photo-degradeable.

Good example: The 1990's Lyalvale 'Pro' Game. A cracking shell!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Outlaw
'Fibre Wads Only' shoots will close if the lead ban gains ground.

I agree but having said that I was asked recently to find out if the CPSA were going to change to a fibre only policy.

I admit I have not been able to confirm or dismiss this rumor yet.

The other thing is with cheaper shells is, the antimony of the shot is less than the dearer shells so the patterning is better.

To elaborate this the higher the antimony the harder the shot so therefore less deforming of the shot, therefore giving greater

pattern density.

I can understand a possible slight improvement swapping from fibre to plastic, but I can't help thinking if it's as drastic as you describe, it must have more to do with you getting used to the clays on that stand, as Suffolk Shooter said.

When Worsley went fibre only, I didn't notice any major change to my shooting.

I used to buy the cheapest **** plastic, now I buy the cheapect **** fibre :blink: :good: :blink: :good::lol:

well i have little confidence in fibre wad shells, and i can shoot to a pretty good standard. i only use them where i have to!

if i pattern my gun i find the a fibre wad patterns about 1 choke looser than my normal clay loads.

so 1/2 choke fibre patterns around the same as my 1/4 plaswads, as i use 1/2 1/2 for most shooting on clays i tend to find i get better results with 3/4 full when using fibres. also you tend to get a bit more recoil out of a fibre yet slower downrange speeds than a plaswad.

Don't use fibre unless you have to is what I say. Or better still use what ever you prefer. The cpsa don't want to start jumping on the back of a lead ban at all- It was bad enough when we had to pack it in for wildfowling.

Shoot non toxic at clays? You will see half the top shots of this country pack in.

Don't use fibre unless you have to is what I say. Or better still use what ever you prefer. The cpsa don't want to start jumping on the back of a lead ban at all- It was bad enough when we had to pack it in for wildfowling.

Shoot non toxic at clays? You will see half the top shots of this country pack in.

VERY TRUE.

Guest The Outlaw

Do you mean non toxic shot of wads?

Tony

Oh ye of little faith!

very true, but when shooting comps you need as much confidence in your equipment as possible!

every clay counts as they say. thats why 90% of the time i use 1 cartridge for everything 10yards or 70yards, i know it can break it.

Do you mean non toxic shot of wads?

Tony

Non toxic shot is what I am referring to, - If I have to shoot steel or such as like for clays then I will pack in.

Its our own shooting bodies which end up selling you down the river these days if you don't watch it.

If they are that concerned over plas wad come up with a more effective biodegradable than the shot cups we have now.

Guest The Outlaw

I think you have a point there.

I prefer plastic wad, IMO they do pattern better.

To have to shoot steel shot though would be a pain.

I use Winchester Silver 7 1/2 plastic for my registered sporting and DTL because they are a higher antimony and dont deform

as much as Eley blue's as an example.

It means I can use a loose choke and let the shell do the work.

Tony