New gun arrived

Mungler

Well, finally the Walther GSP has arrived.

I got to have a good stroke of it at Eastern Sporting before it was sent off for a bipod to be properly fitted.

First thoughts, lovely balance.

Big thank you to Alan at Eastern Sporting who got the gun cheaper than the Sportsman could.

Quick question - is there anything you are supposed to do with a new barrel?

I saw those people on the zero range at Bisley "breaking in" a new barrel by quickly firing 50 rounds down each, cleaning and then repeating a couple more times.

well you learn something new every day....I had no idea you had to "run" a new barrel in at all....I suppose that's why I have no :P FAC!!!!

Those people at bisley were running in a new barrel, this basically involves putting say 10 rounds through it and then thoroughly cleaning it.

Then repeat the process for about 50-100 rounds. This is to bed the rifling in and to start to remove any sharpness from the machining process. It is to ensure consistency from the moment they start using them in compettion.

A lot of people will have a barrel fitted and then let their rifle be used at an NRA open day, that way it gets run in at someone elses expense :P

The whole idea behind a rimfire is to build up and keep a coating of lubricant on the barrel walls and therefore shot after shot is the same.

This is only my opinion and I know that if I ever clean the barrel of my .22 target rifle the bullets go everywhere for the first 50 or so shots. Plus it is lead on steel anyway and the velocity is very low so barrel wear is not even worth talking about.

My Anschutz is at least 30 years old and must have had in excess of 100,000 rounds through it and it will still shoot better than most people, (Mike Babb excluded)

Want to know how I wear in a rifle? I put Autosol polish on a bore patch, and give it 60+ strokes. Gleaming barrel free from all manufacture misshaps and swarf.

So far the rifles I did this to have been of outstanding accuracy :P

And keep your guns like you keep your cutlery. Clean enough to eat off.

Some say the heat generated by a centerfire actually tempers the barrel making it slightly harder. So go easy, one shot, clean, one shot clean for ten, then every five, then every 10 etc. This will allow the metal heat to gradually releive the metal stresses. (all metal objects have stresses, even if you apply even heat to a metal object, it will still warp one way more then another).