What a keeper wants to hear?? Or not?

Just been speaking to my shoot owner/farmer about how well this year has gone and about next year.

Well i can see he has been speaking to other guns from other bigger shoots. He wants to put down ALOT more down this coming year, including partridges. On one side im pleased that its getting bigger but on the other side, ALOT more work to be done then.

Currently we put down 160 birds, he is thinking towards the 400 mark, inc 100 odd partridges also more cover down in certain areas. Be interesting to see how many more we put down and how it goes, he says he will pay for however many we want to cope with including my time. Alright for some.

Lovely job :lol:

Alex

Sounds good for you,apart from the extra work.

We tried to increase from 300 to near 600 a few years ago and it failed miserably..they wandered off.

Went back to 300 and changed alot of things i.e. netted the pens and kept them in longer,didn,t feed them as far out etc and it worked great.Returns were 64%

This year we,ve put 350 in and so far got 38%back from 4 shoots and a boundary day.

Looking at 400 and increasing the size of 1 pen in the spring for next year.

Would like to think the vermin control we are doing is also contributing..over 800 since 1 Feb including 29 fox and 400 crows etc on about 850 acres.

Lot more Partridge about,just can,t get onto them..oh well,they,re nice to see :lol:

Good luck

GH

Try to talk him out of putting down partridge.

My boss tries to talk the estate owner out of doing partridge every year, for a reason.

Much more difficult to look after than pheasant, especially for the part time keeper. Increase the number of pheasant by all means, but dont bother with partridge.

Just IMO :lol: :look:

My boss tries to talk the estate owner out of doing partridge every year, for a reason.

Much more difficult to look after than pheasant, especially for the part time keeper. Increase the number of pheasant by all means, but dont bother with partridge.

Just IMO :xmas::lol:

What a load of rubbish :)

Personally i think partridge are loads easier than pheasant, to rear theres no doub partridge are easier.

I guess it just depends on loads of different factors.

Thats just my opinion as stated.

Just IMO :xmas::lol:

What a load of rubbish :)

Personally i think partridge are loads easier than pheasant, to rear theres no doub partridge are easier.

I guess it just depends on loads of different factors.

Thats just my opinion as stated.

Pheasants are a lot easier to keep,find and present than partridges....its more to do with the lie of the land with partridges if you dont have the right gamecrop,fields etc they will just vanish,so i will have to agree with beatingisbest on that one

Yeah only a part time keeper, am at College doing a BSC hons Conservation and Environment degree the other time.

With partridges i believe they are alot more work too, im hoping if i only release 50-100 or so its not going to be as difficult as releasing more. On a shoot i beat on they release 6,500 of them, and they can be alittle tricky to get round on. :lol:

I have good cover crops, and woodlands, so i think i may try 50 or so just for a tester. A shoot a few miles away from mine who put down 100 partridges says they can get onto them very very well so who knows.

Ill keep you all posted on how many he is looking at, ill have to do alot of research etc on what i think my land can handle. 750 Acres

Alex :lol:

Just IMO :lol::lol:

What a load of rubbish :lol:

Absolutely agree with Georgehare, Partridge are simple to rear when compared to Pheasant.

Keeping them around and getting them over the guns.....now that's a different story

Just IMO :lol::lol:

What a load of rubbish :lol:

Absolutely agree with Georgehare, Partridge are simple to rear when compared to Pheasant.

Keeping them around and getting them over the guns.....now that's a different story

If you look back at my post i didnt mention rearing as i have no experience in rearing, i put "much more difficult to look after" so after you have put them down.

The type of crops and terrain will dictate how easy a time you have with partridges.

They like wide open spaces and will travel until they find them, small enclosed fields rarely hold them.

Partridges don't seem to have the "homing" instinct that phesants have.

Good luck for next year, its always interesting reading about your work. :good: