MOD property?

billsy

I think this is where your argument is flawed R B:

"if someone has ownership or lease of sporting rights over a public place, that person has a reasonable excuse to be shooting; if these rights are not obtained, then a breach of this Act (Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968) is made."

MOD land, whether it has public access or not, is in the custody of the MOD (usually looked after by an estate or range warden). As such, if you do not have that warden's express permission then it is an offence to shoot on the land in his (and thereby the MODs) custody.

ZB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I don't think "I was shooting" makes out a defence of "reasonable excuse"

Reasonable excuse might include transporting the gun from one place to another, or having confiscated it from some lawbreaking miscreant you're on your way to hand it in at a police station.

I don't think there is much mileage in a defence of "I was using it to shoot stuff".

I think the law is clear, if it's a public place = no shooting

If it's a private place you need the owners consent or it becomes an armed trespass.

SteveieP, There is no law that says you can not shoot a firearm in a public place. Infact in the highways act it allows a firearm to be shot within fifety feet of the centre of a highway, provided no one is injured, threatened or made to detour.

Secondly, it is not "armed trespass" if the private land has public access.

You can only take your airgun onto land over which you have permission to shoot, regardless of whether or not you intend to shoot it. If you trespass with your airgun, you are committing an offence of ‘armed trespass’

Well guys thanks for all your help i have now been denied access no reason given?

Just have to watch the un disturbed bunnies run riot!

sorry to hear that mate, from experiance i know how hard it is to get permissions it that part of the world, hope you have better luck next time

lee :good: