lurcher stamina

takeaway

exercise, exercise, exercise :w00t:

If need be get on your peddle bike and road the dog to build up muscle, lung, and heart stanima. Be sure to do this where the dog is working on a natural surface such as grass, or dirt as ashphalt and stone will tear the pads off of the feet.

NTTF

NTTF

Can this be applied to gundogs outwith the shooting season to bring a spaniel's stamina up in advance of a new season? Or does the natural hunting that a spaniel does mean that building up stamina is just a case of longer periods of exercise in the lead up to a new season?

Thanks

WGD

For spaniels and labs I think it is just as important to be sure that they are in good physical shape and well muscled before the start of the hunting season. One of the best forms of excercise fpr any dog is swimming. Swimming builds the muscles and heart 3 x's faster that running, and is low impact to the joints and muscles.

Personally with a spaniel or lab I would rather throw a ball or bumper in water starting out at 10 minutes and working upto 30 to 45 minutes . Starting 3 to 4 months before season starts and slowly building the dog up. This will stand them in good stead for the season.

NTTF

The best way to condition your lurcher and build muscle is suprisingly - Road Walking. and as much of it as you can

Off season in the summer when my dogs dont get run, they easily lose form and stamina.

About a month before the start of the season I start road walking...2 miles..increased to 3 - 4 & 5 miles.

The compound movement of walking on a hard surface builds up the muscles in the front end, as does straining on a lead

This in additon of course to the morning run ...............and a well ballanced diet

A dog being ran a couple of times a week on 15 - 20 rabits will be like granite in no time

The best way to condition your lurcher and build muscle is suprisingly - Road Walking. and as much of it as you can

Off season in the summer when my dogs dont get run, they easily lose form and stamina.

About a month before the start of the season I start road walking...2 miles..increased to 3 - 4 & 5 miles.

The compound movement of walking on a hard surface builds up the muscles in the front end, as does straining on a lead

This in additon of course to the morning run ...............and a well ballanced diet

A dog being ran a couple of times a week on 15 - 20 rabits will be like granite in no time

thanks paul for the advice on how to build up stamina, do u know what i should be feeding her for this type of hunting shes about 45lbs id say any other advice welcome

thanks paul for the advice on how to build up stamina, do u know what i should be feeding her for this type of hunting shes about 45lbs id say any other advice welcome

I have already responded to this when you pm'd me :blink: