new permission

stokie

Been offered 53 acres of Rape today. :good::oops:

Split into two fields with a wood ajacent to the next field .

I have never decoyed rape before and would appreciate some advice.

The crop is being decimated by large flocks coming in at about 30 at a time totalling maybe 500 woodies in the two fields.

Is it better to walk them off and then set up decoys to try and shoot them in smaller numbers or do you just try and shoot what you can when you can with the risk of scarring 500 bird away for the rest of the day. There are no other rape fields in the area and the birds seem to float between the wood and the rape fields

They just seem to be in vast flocks. I know this sounds like a shooters dream but i dont want to sit in an empty hide and not see a bird for most of the day if i get it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

We went out last sunday to do a recce and there were maybe 1000 pigeons in the wood at the end of the field . As we walked down the hedge line they started to lift . I wanted to pinch myself to make sure i wasnt dreaming.

Our plans were to shoot it the following saturday.

On the Tuesday i went about midday and they were coming in perfectly in 4s and 5s all into one spot in the previously untouched field .The field that is nearest the wood is now completely stripped exept for the weeds.

Another visit on Thurday a little earlier in the day and it was pretty much the same but they were grouping further down the field. It all looked great.

One final recce on Friday morning to decide where we were going to put the hide and there wasnt a pigeon in sight. Sat and waited about 30 mins and the odd one flew over but didnt come into the field.

We decided to chance it and give it a go on Saturday so we got to the field at 6.30 set up the hide and put out decoys ,rotory,bouncer and flapper. The wind was coming slightly from our left so we set up in an L shaped pattern 25 yards out.

Nothing came near us until about 8.30 then a few groups of about 20 came in commited to the pattern of which we shot 8. Then nothing what so ever.

Tried all the usual things like making a brew, that usually brings them in. :good:

Packed up at 12.30 with just the 8 in the bag. So yea we did our job of clearing the field . But what was wrong. We waited a week to try and let the flock break into smaller numbers with a chance of shooting a bigger bag.As previously stated we have seen no other rape in the area.

So come on guys what would you have done differently