Why are handguns banned?

Balaclave

As far as the British Isles goes (not specifically the UK) you can still own and shoot licensed handguns in:

. Northern Ireland

. Eire (after about 30yrs of campaigning to get them unbanned)

. Isle of man

. Alderney (Unless Island law says otherwise)

. Guernsey

. Jersey (semi-auto full-bore rifles too)

. Other Channel islands that fall under the Baliwick's jurisdiction such as Sark; it may be possible if the Fife is ok with it.

But not the Isles of Scilly unfortunately as it falls under Cornwall and therefore England.

http://www.cybershooters.org/ - Is the place to find out about gun laws worldwide. Just ask them.

mr_colt.

P.S: The speaker in the Guernsey caused quite a stir when he voted for the banning of semi-auto rifle-bores; during a vote when the legslature was split 50/50. Procedure dictates he is susposed to vote against the bill; but the politicians always seem to make an exception for gun bans unfortunatly.

Edited by mr_colt

Private ownership of handguns is legal in many countries around the world, but restrictions on their availability has tightened over recent years, even in the USA.

If you feel they should be no longer banned, then write to your MP and tell them.

However, I can think of a million more productive things to do with your time, like watching grass grow.

Handguns have never really been targeted on the federal level. Some states require a license and/or a waiting period before you can have one and a couple of cities have banned them, but most don't. "Assault" weapons( which are basically scary looking semi-auto rifles that look like military rifles ie. the AR-15) are the evil guns in this country.

Hello lads; haven’t posted for a while but having read this I thought I would put the record straight.

Handguns have NOT been banned in Britain; they have been restricted to Section 5. This means that anyone who can convince HMG that they are eligible for Sec’ 5 can buy and own one. However this is where the problem starts because they won’t actually issue a Section 5 to the likes of you and me, which effectively stops us from buying one in the first place. :unsure:

You can however still own any pistol that has “Historical interest†such as a Borchardt C93 (in 7.65) as long as it doesn’t use the dreaded, evil, (kills anything at any distance) 9mm round. All you need to do is obtain a Section 7(3) and store the gun (at considerable expense) at one of the storage facilities in the UK.

Either that or go down to the local pub and buy one without incurring all the hassle of doing it properly. :good:

G.M.

What it the point in banning handguns, people are still getting them and using them for illegal purposes.Why do resonsible gun owners have to be punished for some sick ####s actions(DUNBLANE)?

What countrys are they legal in.

To stop people like you.

Who will they give a section 5 to?

See above reply.

Looking forward to your PM's and threats of hacking etc.

I have a surprise for you babe :huh:

LB