Holdall

I should perhaps be developing this and selling it to the Decoy boys in Wigan but I am a generous man and so I will share it all with you lot.

When I go decoying I take a rucksack large fishing type which holds my small folding stool, shell decoys, 100 carts ( leave more in the Car locked up) Battery pack, thermos, sandwiches, over clothing in the winter and other miscellanea.

This leaves both arms free to carry my super shooters holdall which is a simplistically brilliant idea

It is a six foot fishing holdall which is adapted to 4ft 6 ins by a friend who works for a saddler, to carry, my hide poles and hide which is prefixed to the poles and rolls up, lofting poles (if i take them) Pigeon magnet in bag, floating sticks, shell stakes in the smaller pocket and most importantly my gun.

This slips over my shoulder and leaves both hands free for the trek to the field from the car. Anybody else use this type of thing or do you still suffer, wishing on the burdensome trek, that your dad had been an Octopus!

FM,

We could be twins !!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I use a 45 litre Bergen which is ample for all you mention above. ( Except I only take 50 cartridges with me.......if it gets that good I'll gladly walk back to the van :lol: )

As regards the gun, that just goes in an ordinary canvas bag. I do a bit of leatherworking, too, and fixed some pieces of leather onto the side of the bag, which allows me to use some of those velcro bands you can buy at Focus etc. All my hide, with netting attached, rotor arms, spare bouncer and garden cane supports for the hide, go on the side of the bag.

As you say, it leaves both hands free, and is a lot comfortabler to walk a fair distance.

Cranfield,

I may be wrong about this, but my understanding is that a bergen, has the pockets on the side. An ordinary rucksack is just the bag itself. I understand that the name bergen came from the placename in Norway, where it was invented.

White Fox,

I'd love to take up your idea but round where I shoot in Yorkshire there is not too many tracks round the farmers fields. I tend to have to walk over the last 4-500 yards sometimes. If I drove over their fields, especially until the harvest is in, that would be the end of my shooting.

FM

I also use a fishing rucksack, made by Fox. I think that its around 100 Litre, and cost about £75.

Absoluteley everything goes in except the gun, and rotor if we decide to use one.

My nets are seperate from the poles, which fit into a pole bag, which goes into the rucksack.

I had Mrs. webber stitch some 2" wide velcro to my gun slip strap and to the shoulder strap the gun is then stuck to my shoulder good and propper.

Ive never weighed it but it is heavy.

Here is a list from memory of the contents:

Aluminium chair (camo taped)

Camo nets x2

Hide poles x5 (own design super light weight)

Waterproof suit

Flock coated shell decoys with spring sticks etc x 20

Ear muffs

First aid kit

folding saw

secateurs

neck props apx 10 home made from twigs)

plastic garden ties apx 10

string

green bungies x 2

face mask light

face mask heavy

gloves light

gloves water repellant

water repellant hat

Flask 1 litre (camo taped)

Sandwiches chocy bars etc

Camo ground sheet

Camo umberella

Fly proof sack for dead pigeon etc

Freezer sack from Iceland

Pigeon specials apx 100

I think thats it.

Oh, on my belt, small binoculars and a Leatherman.

No wonder Ive had a heart attack.

The quad comes in handy, but its not always possible to use on the farms that we shoot. I love harvest time when I can just drive the Shogun onto the stubble.

Ill sit back and wait for the kitchen sink and microwave comments.

webber :lol:

With fishing, shooting and shopping, I find that the one big, heavy bag, holding everything is a mistake.

It is cumbersome and exhausting to carry any distance.

I split my gear between at least 4 bags/sleeves.

One containing nets and decoys goes on one shoulder.

Two is the gun sleeve, three is the hide pole bag, both go on other shoulder and a bag in my hand (waterproof shopping bag type), containing food, drink, cartridges, odds and ends, is bag number four.

Each to his own. :lol: