Sako TRG

WeihrauchPower

As the title. i'm seriously considering one in .308 (possibly .300 Win Mag). For longe range target shooting and hunting.

They seem the bees knees!

There are other rifles i'd prefer such as those by Accuracy Int. but to get one of those bad boys over here would cost an arm and a leg! :good:

.308 isn't too bad. I've shot .300 Win Mag before and if the rifles not right (ie decelerator pad, muzzle brake) it kicks like an angry mule. I think i'll stay clear of the .338 Lapua! :good::lol:

Not sure on the tracer rounds though, are they of any use in the field or just for fun?

Saw a guy shooting a TRG on the lane next to me at Bisley recently.

Nice looking gun.

It had about £1000's worth of scope fitted on it but for some reason, so the guy was telling me, it spits bullets all over the place. ;)

Told him to check the barell, scope mounts etc. Wonder how he got on?

Should have bought a Sako 85!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

Saw a guy shooting a TRG on the lane next to me at Bisley recently.

Nice looking gun.

It had about £1000's worth of scope fitted on it but for some reason, so the guy was telling me, it spits bullets all over the place. ;)

Told him to check the barell, scope mounts etc. Wonder how he got on?

Rob.

All the gear and no idea!

I've found a Sakor TRG 42 with muzzle break etc for $4950 (£2200). After addind up the other costs i think building my own rifle would be a much better option.

Maybe using a the Remington 700 action, match grade barrel and a custom stock. I think i could save a fortune and have the rifle and scope for around the same price as the Sako rifle alone.

http://www.wilddog.com.au/content/default.asp

He will probably kill me for this, but PM Drovers if you are serious, he has one.

I have shot it and it is (despite being set up for him) it is very nice indeed.

And even though it is .308 :lol: with the brake on, it shoots like a .22

He's going to love you for that! He'll get to show it off to more unsuspecting shooters :lol:

It is a nice gun to use, and hardly recoils at all. The muzzle blast is a little harsh if you're led on the next peg, as the brake throws it all sideways away from the user. Even I can get bullets through the same hole with it. That's saying something, a gun that can overcome shooter error :lol::lol:

• 10 months later...

Advice required! I currently have a 308 Sako T3 lite with match barrel and am looking to upgrade to a rifle I can use both for fallow stalking and target shooting at Bisley out to 600M. I am thinking about the T3 Tactical or the Sako TRG 21. I would be fitting the pm11 scope and a moderator. Does anyone have any views on what might make the best all purpose rifle? I read somewhere that the TRG is banned at Bisley?

Many thanks for any help

Edited by morgando

I'm also in the market for a T3 Tactical or a TRG om 308 :hmm:

I noticed theres a £700 T3 Tactical with about 30 rounds through it with Moderator and Muzzle Brake on GunTrader - sadly its a 20" barrel version, and I want to shoot out to 1000m with it, but It'd be perfect I imagine for the 600m you want to use it for!

Not seen any reasonably priced SH TRGs at all :yes: Theres a new one for £1799 again on Gun Trader.

Hope you find what your after, and if you see any 24" T3 Tacticals let me know! :sly:

mate the 338 is not really a heavy rifle, well if yiu compare it to a sporting weight cz in 243 it will obviously weigh more but its well balanced and you need the weight to shoot it accurately. with a sling it can be shot well from sitting position too. the barrel on the trg42 is smaller in profile than the one on the AI. even the 300win Mag AI has a larger barrel profile than the trg42. in this clip im sending a couple of rounds down range with the 338LM. watch the barrel its not as violent as you would think. the extra weight of the AI in 338Lapua helps with making the shooting more comfortable.

mate that is the Steyr Fortmeir, i named it Sako trg by mistake. its effective but not as good as the Custom muzzlebrake from Nemesis. the fortmeir is a sort of entry 50BMG. the Sako TRG 42 has the standard muzzlebrake and i think it works pretty good. you can sometimes spot your own shot past 1100m if the rifle settles before the impact of the bullet at the target.