Statues at Crosby beach, Sefton

ziplex

I was watching a program a few nights back and these life sized statues, (100 of them, cast iron, dug into the sand and spaced over nearly two miles of shoreline) was mentioned....I am by no means an arty person but I thought they were fantastic, especially if you search the web and find pic's of them in different lights, tide states etc. Seems they are being removed for health and safety reasons, now theres a suprise eh? Anyone actually got to see these? or planning to before being dug up and relocated abroad?

I've not seen them personally, but there has been several local TV reports about them over the last couple of years.

They were originally placed there as a temporary exhibit, the time period was then extended, and amidst some controversy has I now believe been made permanent. Although I was not aware the statues were 100 in number?

Several groups objected to the permanent siting, the Coast Guard being one body who stated that the number of calls to them about people being trapped by the tide had risen dramatically.

webber

I couldn't find any great pictures of the statues, but this is the best one.

anotherplace1.jpg

We had some "sculptured artwork" in the form of an archway placed over an entrance to the beach near Dymchurch, it cost the ratepayers £6000 and looks like its been knocked up by a drunk in 5 minutes.

18 months after being erected it is now to be taken down, as its gone rusty :lol: and is a danger to pedestrians. :lol:

Same bloke did a brilliant peice in London, (Gorman I think his name was), where he put life size statues of himself on the tops of building all round the Festival Hall and the north bank of the Thames.

A mate at work went to one of his exhibitions where he had a room filled with mist so you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. he said it was very unnerving, even though you knew you were in a small room.

A talented bloke :lol:

P.

Same bloke did a brilliant peice in London, (Gorman I think his name was), where he put life size statues of himself on the tops of building all round the Festival Hall and the north bank of the Thames.

A mate at work went to one of his exhibitions where he had a room filled with mist so you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. he said it was very unnerving, even though you knew you were in a small room.

A talented bloke :lol:

P.

Gorman is right Pedro, he done 'Angel of the north' too, nearest thing like that to me is the wicker sculpture on the M5 I guess?!