Question on applying for a SGC

dustyfox

I was reading about getting a SGC today . It said that if you have your security in place the Officer will post it to you, but if you have not it says s/he will give it to you when he visits you next to see if the security is in place.

My question is: Does the officer give you a set time to get the security in place or can you install it anytime you want?

thanks

DF

Edit: I dont know why it is in clay shooting but I am sure i put it in General banter.

Edited by Cranfield

That infomation is not correct for every police force. I got my certificate through without a cabinet in place. Along with a covering letter stating I can not keep any shotguns at my premises until I have the security in place and it's been inspected.

I assume this differs from force to force.

So in answer to your question, you don't need security in place to be granted a certificate, but you do to keep shotguns at your property. So the time frame in getting your secuity sorted should be as long as you like, as long as you don't want to keep any shotguns on your property. This is assuming your force is like mine.

Edited by russuk

In Kent the FAO came to inspect my security before I would be issued with a SGC, which would have been posted to me afterwards - there was no suggestion that he would have brought it with him. As it happened, I didn't have my security in place, but I was able to tell him that the gun was going to be kept at the dealer's until I was ready. He said that was fine and cleared off. My certificate arrived a few weeks later.

Now that my security is in place, my gun is at home and i have notified the FAO, who I'm sure will come and inspect in due course (though I haven't heard from him yet). So long as the security is acceptable (which it is) there shouldn't be a problem. (BTW my FAO seemed very pleased that I had a burglar alarm installed.)

Basically, it seems that you can be issued a SGC without security in place so long as the gun is going to be stored in an acceptable alternative location (in my case, the dealer's). As soon as you remove it from that location (presumabely to take it home) the FAO will be notified to come and inspect the new location (presumably your home).

OK i got another Question.

I moved up to Scotland and everybody I know are in Northamptonshire.

For the referee I will have to send it down to northampton as I do not know of anyone that know's me for more than 2 years up here. Is this alright?

And would the referee have to send it back to me or straight to my police headquarters?

Thanks

DF

Edit: The person who I am going to ask is a manager of his own business and designs roofs for companies.

Edited by dustyfox

I would advise not to put security in place before the visit.

If the Fire-arms Enquiry Officer does not like the placement or type of security, you will have mucked up the decor and may have wasted money.

Research what you propose, have them visit and discuss. Usually its then self certifying that you have installed the agreed security, they will only come back for a further check if it is a difficult security problem.

As said, policies vary from force to force, so ring and ask, security in place, or visit to discuss and install afterwards?

Jerry