4 by 4s

columbus

Changed my 4 by 4 today bought a toyota corrolla f reg 4wd they were asking £600 got it for £325 (bit of rust on wheel arches). As i use them on the beach every time i go to work they dont tend to last long. I know cranfield uses a subru(god bless them ) but what other types of 4 by 4s do you all use.

Subaru don,t make a "true off-roader".

I have the Legacy, which is permanent 4x4 but, does not have great ground clearance.

Saying that, I have never got stuck or, not gone where I wanted to go.    

The Forester and Outback are not so luxurious, but have the better clearance.

I don,t consider that many of the "real off-roaders" have got much cargo space, without taking out seats.

The great advantage of the estate car is, loads of room.

The Nissan XTrail is worth a serious look.

It seems to combine practical vehicle and tasty motor.

A friend has just got one and I will be watching closely.

I don,t know if they are a new model, but you don,t see many about.

Had my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a month now and still well chuffed. It's a five seater estate so loads of room in the back for the kit. Fuel bills hurt a bit, in fact they hurt a lot but I knew this when I bought it. Still hurts thought! :X

Took it swimming during the floods trying to get to work one day. The road was 'closed' but detour was about ten miles and I was only half a mile from work. When the water started 'bow waving' over the front of the car my bottle went and I reversed out. Ten miles and one hour later I arrived at work!!! :D

I'm sure the car would have driven through it happily but didn't fancy the cabin filling up with muddy river water! ???

Sorry, but you can't beat Land Rover, I've got (don't laugh) a 1976 Short wheel base Series 3, its got 44,000 genuine miles on the clock and I've got the MOT certs to prove it, absolutely blinding.

In the last snow it was up and down side roads which little japanese sports cars and their owners could only swear at.

All for the princely some of £1,900, not for the cold -blooded though.

The greatest laugh to drive though, just watch those MR2's leap up peoples' drives to get out of your way. :laugh:

My Legacy is a 2.5 automatic and averages about 25+ mpg.

Its fast and behaves beautifully on the road with permanent 4x4.

Service costs are probably comparable with most mid range cars.

As its not an Impreza, I don,t get hammered on insurance. :D

Its a "T" reg, with 42,000 miles.

This year I have to decide, whether to run it into the ground (take years), or sell it and buy a "true" off-roader, possibly secondhand, then I won,t mind so much when I scratch it. ???

This would also mean getting rid of my wifes Clio and buying something more luxurious for "going out".  

Decisions, decisions.    :*)