Solid vs Ventilated Rib Browning 525

Hewey

Hi All,

Thinking of Selling my Winchester 101 and buying a New Browning. (Seem to fit better than Beretta/Miroku etc.)

Just been to have a look at a few, want to use it for general all round, Clay/Game/Pigeon etc.

Now the shop in question has 2 525's 30" Multi Choke one Brand New and one Ex-Demo (as new) the Ex-Demo has a solid rib while the New one has a ventilated rib. Both are Game guns. The Ex-Demo is only £825 where as the New one is £1075.

Whats the Advantages of a Ventilated over a fixed if any.??

the immediate difference is heat displacement, the ventilated rib will drop or displace heat quicker, if you shoot a lot of targets you will understand why this is an asset, they say also that swinging a ventilated rib gives less drag, i wont argue that one, it may it may not, i think if it did it would be minimaly noticed by the likes of an avarage shooter, other than that imo the vent looks better :good:

Martin

p.s. the b525 your looking at is a good gun, i have one and its a fine tool, good luck with it.

the one with vented ribs will be a sporter the other a game gun, the sporter will be the heavier of the 2 .

if you want to shoot clays fairly often and some game go for the sporter, if you only want to shoot game and occasional clays the game gun would be a good choice.

like martin i also shoot a 525 as he says good gun

Edited by plinker

Thanks to you both for your comments.

The strange thing is both guns have a thin Game Style rib.

I am trying to find out exactly which model the Solid Rib one is, cannot find it on Brownings Web site.

The other strange thing about it is that it only has 70mm chambers.

Anyone any ideas which model 525 it is? They have it as an Ex-Demo but looks like new, I'm just wondering if it is quite old but just not been used, the other strange thing is that it is in a Cardboard box rather than the more usual plastic case.

Hewey, I have two Brownings, one with a fat ventilated rib, one with a solid (tapering) rib. Game guns are built with solid ribs, to be more robust when out in the field - vented ribs get dented easily. The theory is that you wouldn't put so many shots through a game gun each day, that you'd need the heat dissipation that a vented rib gives the gun.

Hi Alex,

To be honest that's what I thought but I am just a bit unsure as to what model 525 it is, especially since it only has 2.75" Chambers.?

Like I said the price seems good at £825 but not sure if I'd be better going for a sporter.

The Jury's still out on this one.

Good Idea might give it a try but by what they were saying the other day about their pricing can't see them shifting much on it.

drop a wad on the counter and give em 30 seconds to make up their minds,,,,,, thats assuming they dont tell you to get your jumped up bling bling *** out of the door :good::good::lol:

Martin