Steel proof? Necessary?

Big_Sam

The reason I ask is that within the next month or so I am getting a gun for doing some clay shooting. The two nearest clubs are both steel (skeet & DTL).

I envisage getting through a decent amount of cartriges, especially as they are cheaper than lead (£100/1000).

But.... I cannot for the life of me find any conclusive info about the use of steel in non-steel proofed guns. Gamebore say its ok in everything, hull cartridge waffle and basically say proofed only.

I am thinking perhaps getting something like the Webley 810 that is steel proofed and not worrying about shooting the end of the barrel off :lol:

Or I might just get a cheap O/U for £100 get it bored right out to open choke and keep it for steel only? I have a 6 gun cabinet waiting to be filled! :lol:

If you have a £50,000 hand made English gun, or are firing a Damascus barrel with full choke, steel might be an issue - but almost all current manufacture of guns will steel proof straight off the production line. I believe you can send it to the Birmingham Proof House and they'll steel proof it for you for a small fee.

There was general recommendation from Cartridge manufacturers not to use more than 1/2 choke with steel. This was worries about liability claims for bulging barrels or stripping chokes, but in 10 yrs I'm not aware that any such claims have materialised.

If you are shooting DTL you wont want open chokes, but 1/2 will be fine.

Use one number heavier in the steel, where you used a no 8 lead, use 7 steel.

Clayman

Heres a question, if its ok to shoot steel in an older gun why are all the new guns I am looking ay 12,76 not 12,70 like they all used to be?Is it possibly because there isnt so much give in the steel as it exits the cartrige and enters the forcing cone?If thats the case is there danger of blowing up a gun when firing steel in a gun that is 12,70? :yes: CONFUSED!!

no, most guns if not all , that have been produced in the last 25 years will shoot 12/70 steel cartridges ok. the 12/76 has been produced to shoot 3" cartridges lead and steel.But if passed for 3" steel the gun should have the fleur de leys stamp on the barrels. But NEVER EVER TRY TO SHOOT 76m/m (3 inch )cartridges in a gun marked up 12/70, or you will in all probability blow up the gun, yourself, and any bystanders. :yes: