Got to Say Great Service on purchase of New 525

Hewey

Hi All,

I have been looking out for a new gun to replace my Winchester 101 LWT Waterfowl Winchoke for quite a while now.

I've been to almost all the "localish" gunshops without luck or at least not find one that really caught my eye (I'm a fussy *******) although through shouldering quite a few guns I thought the 525 fit me best.

Anyway yesterday had a good look to see who had the best selection of guns and made a route (405 miles) which I was going to do today in search of the right gun.

My first stop was to be the Oxford Gun Company, 110 miles from home (like I said already done the "local"ones) got there at about 9:05am, didn't realise until I got there that they had a shooting ground aswell.

Anyway Walked to the counter and was greeted by a women, me being me thought (sorry hope not to offend any ladies on here) oh no not the person to speak to.!! :lol:

How wrong could I be, I have never met anyone so helpfull and knowledgeable in any gunshop I have ever been to, rather than just try to sell me anything which many do, she spent a lot of time going through various makes and models of guns seeing what fitted me best and what was most suitable for the job I want it to do.

It turned into a complete shooting lesson for me, I think I learned more today than I ever have about how to hold, stand, mount and fire a gun and this with me been shooting for 27 years and thinking I was a average to fairly reasonable shot, it even went as far as what cartridges do I use, and if I continue to use those and hold the gun how I have been I will have neck problems in years to come.

Anyway I was in there for nearly 2 and a half hours and I must admit I've come away with an awful lot of good tips.

I wish I could remember the Ladies name but she was absolutely first class. I'm sure someone on here will know it.

The Gun I ended up with was a Browning 525 Advance Sporter 30" Multichoke with the Briley Extended chokes. :lol: which I must say is a very nice looking one indeed, they had what seemed an endless stock of guns as she brought 4 or 5 different ones out from the back so I could choose which one I preferred although they all looked better than some I have seen lately at other gunsmiths.

Once I had chosen the gun she insisted that I go out onto the range to try it, she called one of the instructors over explained what I was doing wrong with my gun mounting etc. and asked him to take me out onto the range to see how the gun felt.

Like a fool I hadn't taken any of my shooting jackets etc with me but they loaned me a waistcoat, ear muffs, and supplied cartridges and out I went onto the range, OK the targets on the stand I went to weren't exactly testing but the coaching helped no end and I had a good chat with the instructor who informed me that the women I had dealt with formaly shot for England. Anyway 25 out of 25 later which took quite a while with the coaching going on. ALL FRRE I MIGHT ADD, I went back into the shop made my purchase thanked them all and headed off back to Essex.

I do not have enough praise for the service I received and the price of the gun was also VERY VERY good compared to most and trust me I'd done my homework on prices.

If you are in the market for a new or seconhand gun I would highly recommend them, great service,advise and price.

Just don't tell my mates I took the advise of a women.!!! :lol:

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

That would have been Shirley! I had exactly the same experienc at Oxford Guns just over a month ago and cannot recomend them enough.

Funnily enough I also came away with a 525.... perhaps their stock is made up entirely of 525's out the back and they just seem to fit everyone? :lol:

I am kidding, they are top notch bunch and offer a frist class service which is why people travel there from such distances. There are rumors they are on the pricey side, but I do not really agree with this, and like you said, for the serivce you get, you would be prepared to pay a little more!

My dad has bought all bar 1 of his guns from Doug who use to run a gun shop and shooting ground near Northolt. He is Shirley's Husband.

Adam,

Yep Shirley that was it.

I'm surprised people think them pricey my 525 Advance Sporter was only £1199 which I thought Very reasonable especially considering it's a very nice one compared to the many others I have seen.

Must admit, after I left I thought to myself "Hang on I didn't even haggle on the price" which is Very unlike me.!!

Just with the service I got including the time shooting it didn't even cross my mind in fact I felt guilty not paying for the cartridges and clays I had used, they really were that good.

Hewey

I tried a bit of a haggle and got a couple of quid of some accessories I also bought, but you are talking a tenner tops. I asked about price and they just said the gun was discounted as much as possible. All guns seemed to have 1 price for cash and another for finance, not sure if this was a clever ploy, but given the service, I too was happy to pay what they asked. Sure I could have played the **** and threatened to walk, but I would have felt a like a **** head after they had spent so much time going out of their way to help me.

I paid £1099 for my 525 and am chuffed to bits with it. I love the gun, it was in my budget and I thought the service was excellent. I will show you mine if you show me yours!

post-10125-1203336655.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

First I'll declare an interest - I designed and maintain the Oxford Gun Company website....BUT, here's why.....

I needed my first gun (around 9 years ago now), and a friend recommended visiting Doug and Shirley for professional gun fit advice.

I'd been shooting with a friend's Browning GTi since he invited me along the first time.

As soon as I started talking to Shirley, explaining what I'd been shooting with, she declared "I bet that's hitting you in the face, isn't it?" - which was exactly what was happening!

She said that with a fat face and a short neck, and the Browning just wouldn't suit me - lucky I'm not easily offended, but she was dead right!

She plucked a Miroku 7000 off the shelf, and asked me to put it to my shoulder. She corrected a couple of things I was doing wrong, but I immediately knew that the bigger drop on the stock would fit far better.

I've been shooting with the same gun ever since, apart from a quick dabble with a cheap side-by-side (which Shirley told me wouldn't fit me, and I wouldn't be able to shoot with - she was right, however much I wanted to prove her wrong!) and I can't recommend them enough for expert impartial advice and service.

I do their website for them because I believe in what they're doing - a family business (both their adult children, Nicky and David, are full-time in the business), with a passion for introducing youngsters and newbies to the sport. Exactly what you want from a Shooting School and Gun Shop. Their "Have-A-Go" days are great - take your friends along to let them have a go with all the right kit, expert instruction, low-load cartridges etc - definitely the best way to get newbies in involved, whatever their age or sex. For £20, you can't beat it.

If you haven't checked out the website, you'll find it here:- www.oxfordguncompany.co.uk

By the way, any feedback on the website appreciated - I'm always keen to make it better for them.

Cheers,

Julian

www.taylormadewebsites.co.uk

Hewey

Funny, because I was standing behind you for a while when you were making your selection. I arrived with my lad at about 10:15 and think it was probably you. Someone else was buying a Beretta at about the same time - we actually had a good old look at the guns that were sitting on the counter for I'm soon to be buying a new shottie as well!

We went onto shoot a couple of rounds of sporting later in the morning.

Your right their entire annual sales appears to be 525's, I brought mine from them a few months ago. Although I got the 30 inch sporter with the ported barrels.

Still well chuffed

And couldnt agree they were amazingly helpful which is why I still buy bits and pieces from them by choice.

Matt

Edited by Mattw

Hi Julian,

Web site good mate, if you could pursuade them to put pictures on the guns in stock on there that would be even better.!!

I'm after a Browning 525 20 bore now but would really like to get an idea of what the wood is like on them before I make the long trip.

Glenshooter, you must have a good memory, must admit sorry don't remember you but then again I had my mind on other things like my new 525 Advance.

Sorry if I kept you waiting for ages to get served, blame Shirley.