SEMI AUTOS

deputy dog

Hi all, i'v just aquired my first ever shotgun licence, though i have been shooting with a close friend for a few years on private land using one of his guns. Obviously now i cant wait to purchase my own gun, and thats where you lot can come in handy with some advice for me if you please. I'm used to shooting O/U and S/S as they are the guns my friend owns. But i'm drawn to buying a SEMI AUTO for my 1st gun. I'v little if any experience with this type of gun and i'm just wondering if they are any good because i have heard off one or two fellow guns mixed reports about them, one good and one bad. So i'm putting it to the wider audience for advice, should i stick to what i'm used to shooting or go for it and buy a SEMI AUTO.

Ps

Any advice would be gratefully received to putting me on the right track.

:D:good::yes:

my personal collection, all of them are Berettas other than the winney sx2, they work there reliable and they do what i want, as do many other makers out there.

my thoughts from your post is a cost issue, people who buy an auto first seem to think its the way to go for a multi purpose gun, cheaper than a O/U or SxS.

that being said, you mentioned you shoot break guns now, why change your style other than cost, im sure if you look around you will find a decent 2nd hand gun in your price range, you sya you have no experience with this style of gun, can you explain then what draws you to it other than what i have mentioned?

as you say at the end, should i stick with what im used to, i say yes for your first purchase, you have plenty of time to expand your knowledge and experience in shotgunning.

Martin.

p.s. under the UK SHOOTWHAREHOUSE sign at the top right you will see "SEARCH" click and type in semi auto, grad a large cup of tea or coffee and read your heart out, plenty of info from members on autos, good luck. :yes:

Thanks for the reply engineer, you asked why i wanted to get a semi auto after using break guns. My reply to that is, watching pigeon vids on you tube and other links posted on this site. Most if not all seem to be using semi autos instead of break guns. So i just got to thinking, is there an advantage to be had by using one of these guns compared to normal break guns. I know that they have a 3 shot chamber in them, is this one of the said advantages to be had. Cost really aint really an issue, i'm working full time and i'd rather spend a little bit more on a good gun then **** it up against the wall, not that i dont like having a tipple now and again ha ha.

Ps

Thanks again for reply

Hiya bud, wellcome to the world of shooting!I can only speak for myself but in the last 15 years of clayshooting( all diciplines ---I have tried pretty one of all the top O/Unders available,) and yet I still come back to shooting Beretta Autos. Go for it!, cheers. :yes:

Edited by berettaman1

Thanks for the reply engineer, you asked why i wanted to get a semi auto after using break guns. My reply to that is, watching pigeon vids on you tube and other links posted on this site. Most if not all seem to be using semi autos instead of break guns. So i just got to thinking, is there an advantage to be had by using one of these guns compared to normal break guns. I know that they have a 3 shot chamber in them, is this one of the said advantages to be had. Cost really aint really an issue, i'm working full time and i'd rather spend a little bit more on a good gun then **** it up against the wall, not that i dont like having a tipple now and again ha ha.

Ps

Thanks again for reply

you've noticed a lot of shooters use semi "vending machines" autos on you tube, very entertaining, over here a lot more shooters use autos, weight-recoil-cost, 3 factors that really play a role, with a lot newer synthetics/materials, the weight can come down, with the auto action and newer dampers, recoils comes down,

and with manufactured production componentry used in autos, cost comes down.

all guns have there pros and cons, from your initial post my understanding is you've dabbled in the sport and now want to go the extra mile, if i may say, great stuff and glad your on board, now go to a club with a reputable gun/instructor, ask for advise, explain your enthusiasm with your new sport and let him/her know where you want to take it, basicaly your bank account is your only restriction, listen to sound advise, take one of the guns you've been using and get lessons, once you have the fundamentals of the sport down ( dont think this will happen overnight, we are all still trying to improove :yes: ) you will see where you'd like to take yourself, this may be a state of the art auto or a lavish O/U or simply a gun you asked for advise on and found fits your style, again you are the one that has to be comfortable with it, especialy if its the only one you have in your gunroom, i'm sure the clubs you go to will have guys with a number of differing toys out there, ask for a try on one, if they are as nice as we here you have plenty to choose from, over here i take people out from all walks of life and a stack of guns to try them on, not only guys gals too, they all have learning curves,,,,,,,,,,,the women more so,,,,,,,,,,, i was talking curves people :D

if cost isnt an issue DD then play and save, you will find the gun that works for you, as i said i have a number of autos, simply for fun, all my competitions are shot with Browning O/U's they are my choice of gun.

good luck buddy, let me know how you get on :good:

Martin

I use a berretta 391 with 30" barrel most of the time and find it awesome. Nice and light, hardly any recoil, you can swing it around quickly and is easy to use. I also have a lanber o/u which is a lovely gun but i just cant throw it around as quickly so i keep going back to the 391 semi.

My brother on the other hand is the opposite... he loves my o/u and cant get used to the semi. So, it all depends on what gun suits you best. Id recommend trying a few other peoples guns out first and see what you like the feel of.

Ive owned three shotties since getting my cert all semi auto's..A remington 1100, beretta al391, and now a benelli m2. Ive nothing against o/u s/s shotguns its just that there not 'my thing'. 99% of my shootie shooting is done from a hide. The extra shot does come in handy sometimes and there very quick to reload.. :welcomeani:

Hello all, just writing to say thanks for all the reply's and advice i'v received from all you people who are interested in helping some one out. Needless to say all advice came in very handy and and once again gratfully recieved. I hope when i get into this sport and learn a bit more, i could perhaps one day then give a little advice on tips n tricks and various guns, to another newby like myself at moment.

Ps

Thanks once again, i'l let you know over the weeks how i get on. Happy shooting to one and all

:drinks::sick:???:drinks: