17hmr dilemma

steyrman

i have both .22 & 17hmr with slot for .223 which i will be buying in the next day or so or as soon as i can get my shoe on (GOUT) the problem i have is will i use the 17 once i get the .223 The 223 will do both fox and roe and a ase utra mod on the .22 will silence high velocity rounds (i think) it just seems imo that the 17 is between the .22 and the .223 whats your opinions ???:drinks::drinks:

Even an ASE Utra mod wont silence high velocity rounds...(i dont think?). I would keep the .17HMR, i think its a much better rifle than a .22lr even though its louder. longer range and head shots. I cant see how the adition of a .223 will affect the use of the hmr unless it was foxes that you where using it for. thats just my opinion, you have both rifles so only you know which you prefer.

Also .223 wont do for roe south of the border!

Edited by tjdwillis

Even an ASE Utra mod wont silence high velocity rounds...(i dont think?). I would keep the .17HMR, i think its a much better rifle than a .22lr even though its louder. longer range and head shots. I cant see how the adition of a .223 will affect the use of the hmr unless it was foxes that you where using it for. thats just my opinion, you have both rifles so only you know which you prefer.

Also .223 wont do for roe south of the border!

sorry should of said i am only 83 miles from the scottish border and have three permissions up there

IMHO the hmr is far superior to the .22 its only downside is noise and thats only a downside to people / horses etc not rabbits as it doesn't seem to bother them.

With the HMR and flat trajectory to 125 yards you point and shoot at most rabbits you can see when lamping, with a .22 you are vastly restricted on range and certainly won't get as confident of taking fast shots as you are with the HMR. It is a lot more like shooting a centrefire than a rimfire, the rounds are more accurate they pack a far harder punch and put rabbits down very humanely. Add the lack of ricochets and I prefer to pay the premium ammo wise to use it. Its still cheaper than using a shotgun :good: With most winged vermin in daylight you can take them with practice at up to 200 yards sometimes more which is a hell of an advantage. As for wind well just limit the range you shoot at in wind to sub 100 yards and you hardly notice it.

Where the .22 still has a place is plinking and quiet work round horses and livestock and houses but you have to be so careful ricochet wise i choose not to use one any more on our ground.

To my mind you couldn't use the .223 in the same way as you really don't want to be using 50 plus rounds a night on rabbits