best website for downloading music

flash

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know how to get illegal music, but if I did it wouldn't be using p2p (peer to peer) software. I used to work for an ISP, take it from me there are stirrings and soon a whole bunch of people are going to feel a lot of pain.

Again I know nothing about this, but I am told you can use "Newsgroups" whatever they are, someone was telling me "newzbin.com" might be a good place to start - I wouldn't know :blink:

Edited by pin

I used to use limewire, but heard that people were getting their internet cut off as a result?

something to do with copyrights etc

Main problem with peer to peer networks (limewire / bearshare / edonkey etc) is that as you get each minute part of a file you want you are also sharing it with the world.

That world also includes the record companies who pay $$$ for clever people to write them little pieces of software that tell them who's downloading what and who'd got what shared. The advantage is that just about anything you'd want is there for the taking, but this comes at a price...

Caution! :blink:

torrents for albums, limewire for singles.

ISP's have said that tracking/ cutting people off for illegal downloading would be near impossible due to the volume of traffic - would far outweigh asking Royal Mail to open and read every single item of post.

unless you are downloading huge amounts of the latest stuff (for example if you were running a bent business selling it) then I wouldnt be too concerned!

I wouldn't know how to get illegal music, but if I did it wouldn't be using p2p (peer to peer) software. I used to work for an ISP, take it from me there are stirrings and soon a whole bunch of people are going to feel a lot of pain.

Again I know nothing about this, but I am told you can use "Newsgroups" whatever they are, someone was telling me "newzbin.com" might be a good place to start - I wouldn't know :blink:

any recommendations for newsgroup providers pin?

ISP's have said that tracking/ cutting people off for illegal downloading would be near impossible due to the volume of traffic - would far outweigh asking Royal Mail to open and read every single item of post.

unless you are downloading huge amounts of the latest stuff (for example if you were running a bent business selling it) then I wouldnt be too concerned!

Oh how wrong you are :lol:

Computers find repetitive tasks rather easy, in fact that's what they do.

When you consider the proposition, within your analogy, every single envelope comes past these "post men" and they absolutely WITHOUT FAIL record anything suspicious, your ill informed argument pales into insignificance.

I don't personally care if you think I know what I am talking about or not, your loss.

Given who I have worked for and the systems I have designed and built, people would do well to listen to me.

If you do or not isn't my problem :lol:

Again I know nothing about this, but I am told you can use "Newsgroups" whatever they are, someone was telling me "newzbin.com" might be a good place to start - I wouldn't know :lol:

Also, whats the differance between peer to peer and a newsgroup? im intrigued now. I heard recently that a lot of people are having there internet cut off by their service providers because of all this, is that right?

Peer to peer is a essentially a network. By that I mean when you sign up / download the client you are agreeing to anyone else on the internet with the same software installed, access to your computer.

Peer to peer is very clever, it works on so many levels as long as the paradigm is to share anything you want with anyone else of the same mind set.

News is different, how can I summarise it? Well, the difference is this, when you choose to download something it's for you, nobody else. What this means is it's a bunch harder to work out who's doing what - you don't broadcast what you are getting, and to anyone else you are not sharing what you get.

Record companies, and check check the news for examples, can easily see how much of a downloader you are by simply running a program, they don't need authority, permission or mandate to do so.

News, on the other hand especially if you pay a provider, doesn't afford this simplistic luxury - if someone wants to know what you did at a particular time they need to get a court order - something not easy to get.

The attitude the government has taken with "downloaders" is similar to that of "drug addicts" - if you fit the bill you are an evil ****** and you will be hounded until you submit.

Simple choice really :lol:

Edited by pin

Oh how wrong you are :lol:

Computers find repetitive tasks rather easy, in fact that's what they do.

When you consider the proposition, within your analogy, every single envelope comes past these "post men" and they absolutely WITHOUT FAIL record anything suspicious, your ill informed argument pales into insignificance.

I don't personally care if you think I know what I am talking about or not, your loss.

Given who I have worked for and the systems I have designed and built, people would do well to listen to me.

If you do or not isn't my problem :lol:

calm down son, i know nothing about computers and am simply repeating what a major ISP said on the news this week.

Peer to peer is a essentially a network. By that I mean when you sign up / download the client you are agreeing to anyone else on the internet with the same software installed, access to your computer.

so if I were to use limewire, they can access everything on my pc? is that right?

Yes, absolutely.

They can tell what you downloaded and when.