FAC in Northern Ireland

spynappels

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me any idea how long it takes to process an FAC Application in Northern Ireland?

I'm only applying for a .22 air rifle, but you still have to go for the whole hog and I'm wondering whether I'll get some practise with my own gun before the nights draw in again.

If anyone has any observations on how the PSNI are to deal with, they would be welcome too.

Thanks.

Stefan.

INCREASE THE INFO IN YOUR PROFILE. The PSNI are ok to deal with if everything is above board. If you have no convictions and can show a genuine NEED to hold a gun then with a bit of luck you may get your certificate in about 5 to 6 months ;) . This is I know a very long wait but with the new way of doing things the whole system is a shambles.(Thank God for computers :P ) Maybe if the dealers could exert some pressure this situation could be improved. I have held a firearms cert for this past 33 years and it usually took about one month to renew,now you are lucky to get it renewed in 5 months. I think we in Ireland are being treated like third class citizens, no other sportmen and women have to endure this treatment.(We must still be classed as terrorists by the powers that be)). :blink:

Sorry, added some info to my profile.

I'm looking to get an air rifle for vermin control (rats, crows, pigeons etc.) to use on a friend's farm. Obviously I'll be punching an awful lot of paper before I progress to live quarry. I have been shooting with a Webley Mk.3 and a .410 shottie under the watchful eye of an FAC holder, but want to get used to a scoped rifle. When I get the Cert, I would like to do pest control for a few other farmers I know too, do you think it would help if I added their permission forms to the application? I know it saysyou only need one permission form, but is this a case of the more, the better, especially if it reinforces the NEED aspect of the application?

Thanks for your reply already though, shame it takes so long to get the cert, but I'll just have to wait.

Stefan.

Edited by spynappels

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me any idea how long it takes to process an FAC Application in Northern Ireland?

I'm only applying for a .22 air rifle, but you still have to go for the whole hog and I'm wondering whether I'll get some practise with my own gun before the nights draw in again.

If anyone has any observations on how the PSNI are to deal with, they would be welcome too.

Thanks.

Stefan.

There ****. You'll be waiting at least 16 weeks. I sent in to have a .222 added and I was told to expect at least 20 weeks. I waited well over 20 weeks for a rimfire and I ended up getting BASC to have a word with them. As long as you have no convictions you'll get the air rifle no problem. Send in one permission form don't give them anything more than what they need.

Just as an aside, what sort of questions do they ask you when they come out to the house?

They probably won't come out for an air rifle. If they do they'll check your gun cabinet and ask you a few questions about gun safety and taking safe shots etc....