Fishing scales

Dunkield

EE post has reminded me that we still don't have decent set of scales and a sling for weighing fish, so catches are recounted as 'about 10 lbs or so' about always rounded up of course :good:

What do you fisherpeople use? I don't want to spend a packet, but I remain suspicious of the ones on ebay for £9.99.

Are they OK or would they be complete waste of time? we would only need to weigh up to 20Lbs, 30 max.

The Digital ones are supposed to be good (accurate and easy to use, hard to damage), somthing like Rapala or Berkley. I would avoid the Fox ones on the principle that if they are Fox they WILL be ****, no ifs, buts or maybes.

The Reuban Heaton (Spelling proably wrong) set the standard on tradituional 'dial' scales for a long while and are still one of the most popular ones I see used on the bank, think they do a set in 1oz Divisions up to 20lb, and another to 40lb in 2oz, although dont quote me on that! Salter also make similar scales to the same sort of standard.

I dont bother taking scales with me anymore as when I do I dont catch anything worth weighing, as soon as I forget them or leave them in the car you can bet theres a lunker coming out!

I have a set of the Rapala digital scales weighing up to 50lb, they are the same as those advertised on Ebay.

They have a couple of functions and are easy to operate.

I have tested their accuracy up to 30 lbs and they were spot on, I haven't tested any higher, as I couldn't find enough certified weights . :hmm:

Mine have been used for a few years, bumped around in my various tackle bags and even exposed to salt air and water, yet still they operate 100%.

Highly recommended.

Darn, I feel a Shaggy review coming on. :good:

Stuart, id be interested to know if they have a calibration certificate with them to say theyve been tested by whichever independant body it is that does these things, you need to have this certificate on the scales before weighing a record catch to claim it I think (Well, I can dream cant I?)

I'll let you know if they ever turn up.

I got a sling today to put fish in while they are being weighed - I can see all this being the kiss of death :blush:

I have since found the same scales for $29.95 in the States, so they are only double the price over here . .