A game of two halves

Sprinter

Well i rocked up at my usual position today and there wasn't a sausage in sight, not even a shed feather blowing across the OSR field. Took a while to work out what to do and as the wind was wrong for my two hides on the barren field i had a wee tootle around the rest of the land.

Turned out to be a good idea because as i drove through the farmyard to the other side of the land there were 4-500 pigeon feeding on the OSR that previously they had shown no interest in whatsoever. As the field was a difficult one to get set up on i continued on and kept looking. I found 50-60 on OSR in another location but they seemed to be mainly messing around and not feeding so back to the 4-500 field it was for another look. As i say it's difficult to get onto as there are two farm houses either side of it and only a low hedge parallel to the wind. Anyway the juices were flowing by now so had a quick whip around the houses to make sure both ok with me having a crack. One has a new baby and the other works nights, turns out it isn't a problem so i try and get set-up.

End up with a very thin net hide about 40" high, held up with a couple of twigs billowing in the wind. Not the most promising hide i have ever built. Managed to stop the billowing with a couple of small branches from a fallen tree and crouched behind the magnet full of expectations. After a very uncomfortable 45 mins ****** all happened and then all hell broke loose.

For the next hour they were pretty much on the flow and i managed 11 for 22 pops (2 doubles) and then just as soon as it started it completely dried up and i sat there for an hour not even seeing a pigeon. As it's getting close to lunchtime now and aware that one of the houses wants to get some shut-eye i pack up. As i'm getting all my kit together ready to make the trek back to the car the strap on my gunslip breaks meaning i can't manage everything in one go so had to make two trips.

Decided rather than going home i'd check the original field and low and behold a couple of hundred are busy there. As the wind is all wrong for my ready built hides i end up on the other side of the field in a hide easily more flimsy and lower than the previous one (i'm really gonna have to get another net). Just as i'm getting the gun out, wiping my nose and shuffling my backside around to get comfortable the first customer arrives and settles. Shove two carts up and barrel him on the deck. Almost immediately another bunch come in, hardly time to reload and take a nice double. Unfortunately the first is a strong runner and me being dogless it led me a merry dance up and down a ditch before i collared it with a despairing dive into the briars. After an hour it dries up again and i take stock of my position. 7 down for 8 shots, i'm liking this. After almost an hour another solitary customer drops in and doesn't make it out again. Looking over my shoulder i see big clouds and notice the temperature has dropped and the wind has got up, time to pack in and head for the warm.

All in all a nice couple of sessionettes and 19 for 31 overall. Hope for the same or better tomorrow when i should be able to cover both fields.

Not a single pigeon in sight today. Anywhere and i've looked in about a 10 mile radius of my permissions. Very very strange, the only thing i can think of is that someone has drilled some peas in a location i can't see from the roads/tracks and they are hammering that?

Had a chat with the guy spraying the rape and he hasn't seen anything either. But he does say he of is off to another location close by after lunch so i'll go for a looksee after i've had a fried egg sandwich and see if he has stirred anything up.