What to whatch out for after being in the feild ?

Salop Matt

actually mixy is not transmittable to another other animal including dogs................ I would imaging that secondary illness from digesting infected puss fulled bunnies is about as bad it would get.. :lol: :lol: :o

dont worry too much...or you'll never let him out of the back garden :good::lol:

Not true, rotten rabbit is full of vitamin D. Personally, I take a mutivitamin tablet daily but whatever floats yer boat......

No, mixy not a problem at all, not much likely to bother him, snakes maybe, but you are unlikely to see them to keep him away from them. If you bring him into Essex you may meet a few aggressive rabbits at closing time, otherwise no problem.

On the subject of snakes, adders that is, normally suprised while asleep basking in the sun, they dont attack but act in self defense, if you suspect there may be a few about the best thing imo to do is become as heavy footed as you can, they will pick up on the vibrations and move away well before you get to them normally.

Pick the dog up if it is bitten, dont let it run around, this will slow the spread of the venom get help asap I would dial 999.

:good: D2D

i had a dog that was bitten by adders on 2 seperate occassions .both times she was on her back in just a few minuites, if it ever happens you need to lie the dog still and get hold of the vet immediatley she lived even though she was about 10years old the second time. both times scared the **** out of me she was dying in front of me and both times were sundays to make it even worse.

Have a read here on snakes. It is funny as Last year I heard from 5 different people in the UK who had their dogs bitten by adders.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=19597

NTTF

P.S.

Here are a few other things to be aware of.....I knew I had this posted just had to find it.......as soon as you are done in the field for the day give the dog a going over.

Check and flush the eyes if needed.

Check and flush the ears if needed.....weed seeds in the ears can cause horrible infections and loss of hearing.

Run your hands over the upper body checking for cuts and ticks.

Run your hands down each leg checking for cuts, ticks, bruising, swelling.

Handle each foot checking the pads for cuts, thorns, or punctures.

Have the dog lay down and roll over to check his under chest and belly. Pay particular interest to his armpits for ticks.

Some thing that I do to help keep my dogs comfortable in the field is teach them to drink from a squeeze bottle. When ever one of them is thirsty they come and sit infront of me asking for a drink. This helps with not only keeping your dog hydrated, but keeps them out of any nasty bugs that may cause the squirts laying out in the field. It also allows me to see if there are any weed seeds in the eyes while they sit looking up for water, giving me a chance to flush them in the field if neccessary.

If you are watering your dog from natural sources while out try to use running water sources as they hold less bacteria and parasites.

There are a couple of things that I carry in my vest while out:

1) hemostates to pull thorns, or porkupine ...for you folks it would be hedge hog...quills

2) clean fresh water for drinking and flushing the eyes and ears.

3) Benadryl antihistomine for insect stings and snake bites

4) A section of seran wrap....kitchen wrap.....to seal puncture wounds. ( Over the years I have had 2 dogs run into hidden sharp pointed sticks and puncture a lung. In both situations I was more than 4 hours to a vet. By wrapping the kitchen wrap completely around the dog it seals the wound from sucking in air, which will compress the heart and kill the dog. Both dogs recovered completely...the lung healing as well as the body cavity. Without the wrap the dogs would have been dead inside of 2 hours.

5) If Iam going to be out all day and the dog working hard I like to give them a energy booster around lunch time. You dont want to feed them a meal but a good energy snack helps them out. ( What I personnally use is a piece of bread covered in corn syrup.)

6) Common scense.....If you dog doesnt look right find out why, if it is hot slow down and take breaks, if it is cold make sure he stays warm by moving.

And last but by far one of the most important things to remember while in the field with your dog is;

TOO KEEP IT FUN>>>>IT IS HIS DAY OUT ASWELL

NTTF

No, mixy not a problem at all, not much likely to bother him, snakes maybe, but you are unlikely to see them to keep him away from them. If you bring him into Essex you may meet a few aggressive rabbits at closing time, otherwise no problem.

On the subject of snakes, adders that is, normally suprised while asleep basking in the sun, they dont attack but act in self defense, if you suspect there may be a few about the best thing imo to do is become as heavy footed as you can, they will pick up on the vibrations and move away well before you get to them normally.

Pick the dog up if it is bitten, dont let it run around, this will slow the spread of the venom get help asap I would dial 999.

:o D2D

That's it in nutshell, we have hundreds of them in this area, if you move slowly on a hot sunny day you can get very close, they usually bask in the same places, if you disturb one today, it will be back tomorrow, but when they realise that you are there (through smell I believe) they take off. Usually that is, I have have had one on a path making straight at me, scary, and with no gun! Despite the large amounts in this area, I don't know of any dogs that have been bitten. I'll ask the vet when it's time for her ladyship's jabs.