Beretta silver pigeon........

Salop Matt

Hay folks i just bought a brand spanking new Beretta Silver Pigeon yesterday :good: I collect it in two weeks. But just to put my mind at rest that iv got an alright peice of wood could any one with a silver pigeon post pic`s of there wood so i have an idea ?

Dad shoots to and has guns with beautiful wood on them even if they are worth more second hand than mine new......... but just dont want to hear from him that my wood is poor ! :lol:

Also any tips for bringing out the best in the wood ? Especally the stock !

I have a silver pigeon 5 aswell got nice piece of wood on it had it about a year i also got some stock oil for it, if you get some stock oil dont be heavy with it put it on lightly because takes a while to get into the wood its a lovely gun hope you like it.

WDG that is beautiful :good: I would be scared to take such a nice gun out !

So which oil do you recomend i use ? I thought that stocks always had some kind of varnish finish on them that would stop oil getting through ! :lol:

Thanks SS, from what I've been told I was really lucky to get a stock with this quality of wood on a Grade IV gun and TBH it was not the primary reason for buying the gun; it was just the right gun, at the right budget in the shop when I was looking to buy. As has been said, all SP's should shoot the same.

I thought about getting a stock cover but stuff it, if it gets scratched every scratch will tell a story and it will be a gun to me for a long time.

With regards to stock oil, I can't recommend a particular brand as I've never oiled mine yet - one of the guys I shoot with has an SP II with an oiled stock, he uses linseed oil. I would just get some stock oil from your gun shop. Re your question about varnish, the stock will either be varnished or oiled so if yours is varnished you will not be able to oil it unless you strip the wood right back and oil it from scratch, not what I would think you want to do with your new gun! If it's varnished you shouldn't need to do anything to it for a while.

Just enjoy it.

Cheers

WGD