beretta v browning

ddanby111

hi guys im new to the sport and ive saved a grand for a gun ... now ive done a bit of looking and ive narrowed it down to 2 guns and i need your expertese ... whats the best gun/value a as new 28" 687 silver pigeon 5 o/u 12g shot under 200 cart £900...... or...... browning 525 32" sporter grade 1 o/u 12g £895 new.. help

Edited by ddanby111

You may find the 28" Beretta is a bit too lively, it will certainly handle very differently to the 32" Browning, also a 28" model will be harder to sell on than a 30" model, as they are less popular.

I'm surprised you've not opted for a 30" model, most people go that route nowadays.

You've got to try out both guns before you decide, it's all about what feels right for you.

Cat.

£900 for the SP5 in that condition seems v.cheap, the list price of this gun is near £2K so be sure about what you are buying.

IMO a 28" gun is primarily a game gun, a 30" sporter more multi disciplinary and able to cross between sporting clays and game, and a 32" gun is more likley to be used in the trap/DTL disciplines of clay shooting. In saying that, any one of these guns can do any one of the aforementioned functions - at the end of the day it's the guy pulling the trigger who makes the difference.

Try as many guns and lengths as you can to see what fits, and for that budget you should also look at the Miroku MK70/MK38.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

WGD

IMO

the beretta SP 5 will be the game version.... fixed choke

Dont know about the browning......

what will you be using it for?

Buy what ever fits best, they will both shoot and handle totally differently

ask him if there is any chance he has somewhere you can try them?

you could also try your local clay shooting club and see if anyone has them.....my club certainly wouldnt mind giving advice and if we had the guns would almost certainly let you have a go

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

I had a Beretta 686 , lovely gun , well made and superb handling. But i found that it was a little too lively.... quick to point but just as quick to go so fast that i was allways having to check/stop the swing .... with bad results ! but that was just me :yes: ... when i tried a 30" Browning it was just that bit slower in the swing, which steadied me down enough to improve my scores.

They are both good guns so it will be down to your choice in the end.... try to shoot as many different guns as you can and eventually you'll find one that feels just right. If you pop along to a clay ground, especially if they have a gun shop, you should be able to try several types/lengths..... check out Miroku guns as well :yes:

Remember you've got a Grand to spend in someones shop.... they should fall over themselves to help you... if they don't .... go to another shop !

Dave :yp:

I bought an SP as my first gun and loved it, told myself it fit great and was oblivios to the fact that really it didn't until I picked up a 525 in the shop. Basically I seen the SP and liked it enough not to take too much notice of fit etc. Long sory short I px'd the SP for the 525 with a slightly heavy heart as it 'looked' the better gun but I now shoot much better with the Browning. People advising to check fit shouldn't be ignored, the look of the gun should however if you want to shoot well with it. The Browning is not as well finished and it has heavier recoil but i'm happier with it. HTH...

hi everyone thanks for the advice... went to swillington shooting supplies today... saw both and just nearly bought a new 525.... as the silver pigeon had gone... and guess what.... ended up coming home with a 3 month old propper minter 686 beretta onyx multi choke with georgous metal 30" 12g for 950 cash... im in love and propper hooked... cant wait to go shooting... whod of known you can get addicted to cleaning a gun.......