Scopes for .22 + .17HMR

Birdboy

Hi,

Still waiting for my FEO visit for my FAC ("Dear God, please let it be soon" "Amen"). Ive decided that although ive applied for both a .22 and .17hmr on my application, i will initially buy a decent .22 and then in 6-12 months maybe sell the .22 and go for a .17hmr (wife permitting).

Can anyone suggest a suitable decent set of scopes (to max £200-£250) that i can use on my .22 and then later on be transferred to a .17HMR, or am i better off buying a set now for the .22 and a different set for the .17hmr. Can i get a set of scopes that is good for both or is the magnification required for a .17hmr to powerful for the .22 :blink: Very confusing.

Please let me know of any .22 rifles that you would recommend i look to buy (max £600 exc scope & mod)

Cheers all

PS - I dont undersatnd all the magnification numbers on scopes so has anyone got a quick guide !!

I've got a CZ American .17HMR scoped up with a Hawke Nite Eye 6.5 - 20 x 50 IR with mil dot reticule. Spot on under the lamp at up to 180 yards so far.

Just bought a Hawke Nite Eye 3-9 x 50 IR mil dot to go on a custom 10/22.

The first scope is over kill on a .22 but if you know you are changing, get it, zero it at 6.5 mag and then when you get the .17hmr and sell the .22 it will be spot on for out to 200 yds.

regards

stu

I'd buy a second-hand Meopta 7x50 for the .22 (should cost GBP150), and a scope with at least 12x mag for the HMR. Personally I would go for a reticule as uncluttered as possible.

I have two Hawke Nite Eye scopes at present, and I can say with certainty that the quality of Hawke lenses is very poor. The Meopta is massively better on every level, but most noticeably as the light fades (which is when you're most likely to be using a .22 or HMR).

So I'd buy from a European manufacturer, second-hand. Fleabay will sort you out. I have had several scopes from there, all of them a steal.

Edited by Baldrick

to explain all the numbers, 4-16 x 56 lets say so

minimum magnification 4x (like camera or binoculas)

maximum 16x

and easily adjustable with a twist of a **** to anything in between

some people prefer fixed magnification so its not adjustable but for .22 and 17hmr personally id get either a 4-16 or something to 20ish

ook so thats magnification explained the 56 afterwards is the size of the field of view (i think) so basically the bigger that number the better normally good scopes are ever 52 or 56

hopw ive explained alot

no point in buying an expensive .22 as you will loose money on it if you sell it, id get a CZ american of somekind and if moneys no too tight keep it and get a 17hmr otherwise just sell it

remember the extra price for ammo on a hmr you wont want to go down to the range with it and fire of 100 bulletts or so :good:

to explain all the numbers, 4-16 x 56 lets say so

minimum magnification 4x (like camera or binoculas)

maximum 16x

and easily adjustable with a twist of a **** to anything in between

some people prefer fixed magnification so its not adjustable but for .22 and 17hmr personally id get either a 4-16 or something to 20ish

ook so thats magnification explained the 56 afterwards is the size of the field of view (i think) so basically the bigger that number the better normally good scopes are ever 52 or 56

hopw ive explained alot

no point in buying an expensive .22 as you will loose money on it if you sell it, id get a CZ american of somekind and if moneys no too tight keep it and get a 17hmr otherwise just sell it

remember the extra price for ammo on a hmr you wont want to go down to the range with it and fire of 100 bulletts or so :good:

no this is the size of the obgective lense it is 56 mm in this case a 4-40 would be 4 times zoom and a 40 mm obgective lense :good:

Field of view of highest/widest on the lowest magnification setting, and as Highseas says, objective lens diameter has nothing to do with FoV. Have a look through a 1.5-6x20 scope (as used for dangerous game or boar shooting) and you'll understand how much a high-mag scope limits your FoV.

Dude I have a 16" CZ 452 American in 17HMR, absolutly cracking rifle, I bought a 8-32 x 50 BSA Contender off ebay less than half price. No point spending a fortune on a scope if your going out night hunting etc as it will get broke however carefull you are! Id rather spend £70 and get something functional, than spend £500 and be gutted when I tripped or slipped and broke it. I will buy a Sweet 17 BSA scope next, made for the 17HMR!17 HMR rule dude! :good:

56mm - diameter of front or objective lense - has no effect on mag at all, but gathers more light so allows clearer picture i.e. more resolution. This tells most at low light times, and when using very large magnification.

4 x 40 scope and 4 x 50 scope have exactly the same mag - but the 50 scope has a brighter image.

Of course if you want to go for a large mag e.g. 16 x, then the larger front lense produces a better image at higher mags. you need better quality glass at these limits of performance.

bigger end lense = better picture.

Longer tube (sic) = better mag, sort of.

I forgot to say I shoot on 12 magnification all the time, shooting at 75 yrds on the adjustable front end. I have a 3-9 x 42 Niko Sterling on a HW97K which is alot clearer at morning and dusk light. As I say the Contender will get broke sometime and it will be replaced. :good:

Having looked into all your advice, ive done a few reviews on each and the MTC Viper 6-24x56 has had some great reviews so i think i will opt for this one. I have also decided to go for a new CZ Synthetic Style .22 rifle.

Anyone know of some good deals on the above kit, particularly the scopes ? Id be happy with some decent 2nd hand Viper scopes if you know of any please. Ive looked on e bay for scopes but nowt there.

Cheers

Gaz

Have a look here

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/

It´s definitely the same chassis like the one I bought over here... the only difference is the PRICE.

I would think it´s the same chinese machine where both scopes are made with. I would not buy it

again, because if you change the magnification the reticle is bouncing up and down...

Have a Zeiss

or live with the problems :good:

Claus