Plucking feathers

Elma Fud

I'm hopefully going o bag a canada goose or two on my next outing. Geese have been on the farm pond for a number of weeks now. In the past I've found it difficult to pluck these birds. Sometimes taking over a hour just to pluck one goose. The farmer told me to place the bird in boiling water as this loosens the birds feathers. Is this true...

Has anyone tried this method before?....

Have you got any better methods of plucking feathers from geese and ducks.

EF

I have tried the boiling water idea with geese and I didn't think it did much, except make all the feathers wet.

Of course, I may not have had the water at the correct temperature. :lol:

My only tip is, place the goose and your hands inside a large dustbin type sack, this helps keep all the feathers and down, from floating off everywhere. :lol:

Pluck it as best you can over a dustbin,if you can get hold of a burco boiler half fill it with water.Then put couple of boxes of wax candles in hot water.When the wax has melted dip the bird in covering all the body,let it cool and peel off the wax.Throw the wax back into the hot water all the small featers and down will sink leaving the wax on top.Let it cool down and set then put it somewhere until next time

:lol: