This afternoons fun- Joys of a gamekeeper.

The land isnt mine... but im the keeper on it and therefore have all shooting rights.

Every1 who had been shooting on the rape hadnt asked permission, whether from me or from the farmer... they just turned up and started shooting.

Alex

shooting rights usually only extend to Game birds not vermin, unless you specifically get it mentioned in a contract. Sounds like you and the farmer are talking from different angles if he is still allowing people to shoot pigeons he obviously doesn't think you have sole rights to everything.

Its unusual to get people to turn up and just shoot as getting nicked for armed trespass will result in loosing your shotgun ticket

Another point that made me more resolute to keep shooting up till the agreed "poult"? time was that the keeper agreed he had little time for vermin control himself. :good:

The suggestion that I call him at the end of the season was that there is potentially thousands more acres to go at and he might have been willing to put them my way.

I have this all the time Dave, keeper hates the fact I do vermin control despite the fact the farmer usually comes out with me and if he doesn't his son does. In my case its tough titty to him but I've had plenty of intimidation as has the farmers son and thats despite respecting the shoot and actually beating on it. Like you shooting round pens and woods stops when poults go down and starts again when the season is over.

In usual circumstances make sure you stay on side with the farmer and get to know the keeper offer your services beating and helping and say you respect the shoot and have stopped while birds are down and a normal one will be fine with you.

Cheers al4x, I'd won the guy round but somethings gone off between him and his replacement, who I think was previously a gamekeeping partner of some kind. Big fallout by the sounds of it. When I've got my 4WD on the road I'll go and seek out the new guy and see how it goes. If it goes wrong I'll just maintain my loyalty to the farm manager and hope I get to keep it.

Alex the problem you have stems as much from your local ****holes not giving a flying **** what or where they shoot as from the lack of agreement between you and the landowner/farmer.

IMO you must sit down with landowner/farmer and agree exactly who is allowed to shoot the land and who isn’t. If farmer gives anyone permission he should let you know (face to face meetings are good) and both of you should INSIST on a phone call (or text) from anyone who’s planning to go out. Without that you (and the landowner/farmer) both know whoever’s shooting is doing so illegally and the police should be called. It’s armed trespass by no other name and you should be vigilant in pursuing those who flout the law where guns are concerned. Agree that in advance with landowner/farmer and it shouldn't caiuse anyone but the perps a problem.

I’ve always found that even the most happy go lucky farmers will, when given the facts, agree that having a good solid shooting policy is the safest and best way forward.

Yeah i am the only keeper on the farm, its only a small shoot and isnt my full time job.

Id say personally that the farm manager should let the gamekeeper now who is shooting etc.

It was the same for a friend of mine, who was the keeper for a large estate and didnt know who was shooting or where cos the farm manager didnt tell him, needless to say he was annoyed and he too quit the place.

Id say speak to the keeper.

Alex :good:

(In my case, the farmer doesnt know what is going on on his land most of the time, or who is about on it... but as im out and about everyday checking traps etc i know who is shooting and where etc..... so i deal with that side of the farm.)

Gamekeeper or not, the final say is down to the landowner.

I had a problem which a farmer who I rented shooting rights form a number of years ago who would let all and sundry shoot whenever and whereever even though I was paying him for the use of his land.

The final straw came when a guy I caught shooting was supposed to be after pigeons conveniently cleared out 16 ducks off the flight pond.

I will stress it really is down to the landowner at the end of the day- Even the farm manager does'nt have the final say.

If I was a landowner I would personally want a robust shooting policy- You are far better to have people around you can trust and be sensible than allowing anyone who comes up your drive go shooting on your land.

Landowners here in suffolk are reasonably relaxed with regards to shooting despite what people think regarding gaining permission.

I don't have alot of time for certain keepers attitude either.... as most of the time they are only trying to keep the shooting for themselves- But nevertheless you have to speak as you find. I am sure many pw members on here have had a lot of shooting access due to gamekeepers.

Final say of course is- Gamekeeper =employee. Landowner=Employer.

As the saying goes the boss can do what he likes.