Bird in distress and differant decoys methods

ditchman

From time to time it is unfortunate that before you can retrieve and dispatch it, a pricked bird will flap and show distress, unlike a flapper which tries to copy a feeding or landing bird, pigeons generally and corvids usually show an unhealthy interest in this. Has any one made or used a pull string flapper to emulate a bird in distress and have they had any success.

A friend of mine has used with particular success a rotating mirror glass disco ball amongst 20-30 offcuts of grey guttering, this has worked too..............................................your comments

I use a pull string flapper all the time, would not go shooting without it. However, the flapper does not represent a bird flapping in distress, it mimics the feeding flaps of pigeon as they try to get to the front of the feeding queue. Pigeon etiquette dictates that they join at the back of the queue, and advance on the floor.

Webber is correct the mirror ball is illegal.

TC

I use a pull string flapper all the time, would not go shooting without it. However, the flapper does not represent a bird flapping in distress, it mimics the feeding flaps of pigeon as they try to get to the front of the feeding queue. Pigeon etiquette dictates that they join at the back of the queue, and advance on the floor.

Webber is correct the mirror ball is illegal.

TC

The ball was used 20 odd years ago hasnt used it since...the guttering is still used tho........what about if i set up a pull string flapper with a dead bird on it at a angle in a rut away from the decoy pattern and then activate it like a bird that has gone down from a shot away fromthe deeks ? :hmm: