rimfire application

ziplex

On land I have permission to shoot over, (use shot gun), a couple of the other chaps use 22's for rabbit and fox. I realise the fox/rimfire question has been asked/argued over many times but it is purely rabbit I would be looking to shoot.

Question is, is it more or less a formality to get it granted or not? bit of a whim really in order to have more opportunity to get out when there's not much happening with the pigeons, and have a few rabbit in the freezer too.

Be sure to add 'vermin control' and 'moderator' onto your application though. :hmm:

My mate didn't add either so they just gave him target shooting only for his rimmie. He did sort it out eventually but it took longer to do.

Cover all bases with what a .22 rimmie can do and it should all go on your licence. :hmm:

If you have permission to use a 22 on suitable land, and good reason, you should get one with no hassle.

The only reasons really that it can be refused are that the land is not suitable, but as others use 22's on the land, that should cover that point.

The other reason is that you may be a danger to the public. As you posess a SGC, it would be extremely difficult for the police to argue that you are not a danger to the public with a shotgun, but would be with a rifle.

Although it is not a formality as it used to be, you should have no problems.

12.2 Section 27(1)(a) of the 1968 Act (as

amended) states that:

“A firearm certificate shall be granted

where the chief officer of police is

satisfied that:

– the applicant is fit to be entrusted

with a firearm to which section 1 of

this Act applies; and

– is not a person prohibited by this

Act from possessing such a firearmâ€.

13.2 Under section 27(1)(:hmm: of the 1968 Act,

firearm certificates shall be granted by chief

officers of police if they are satisfied that

applicants have a “good reason†for having

in their possession, or for purchasing or

acquiring, the firearm or ammunition in

respect of which applications are made. Apart

from assessing fitness to possess firearms,

“good reason†is one of the most substantial

and complex areas of discretion that chief

officers may exercise in licensing firearms.

Going through the process myself and hope to have my ticket in a week.

Couple of tips for you, if you go for say a .22, or possibly a .17HMR, ask for both. If you think you may go for foxes sometime, whack on a .223 (or similar) now. Ive verbally been granted all 3 however initially he said no to a .17 HMR as the .22 was classed as the same 'tool'. I then rang him a few days later and said i wanted the 17HMR to as it would have dedicated night scopes on and the .22 had dayscopes on. He agreed ! so worth researching what you want and why prior to your interview.

Good luck

Gaz

Go for it. You should get it easily enough by the sound of things. As said above, don't forget to write +mod on the application for every rifle you want.

.22lr will do most things at close range, .17hmr is great for longer range, and .223 is handy for a real Fox gun. If I was to have one gun it would be the HMR as it can be pushed for foxes if needs must, if I could only have two it would be the .22 and .223. As it is, I have all of them :yes:

Good luck :D

Edited to say ask for all three. It will give you longer to think about what you want and you don't have to buy all of them (don't tell them that though).

Edited by njc110381

I have a .243 and a .22 on my fac at the moment, and I'm just thinking about applying for a .17hmr as well. The reason is that I want the longer range to be more effective at rabbit shooting now that they get spooked more easily.

I've heard (and it's been mentioned above) that some forces aren't too happy about people having both a 17 and a 22 - is there anything I need to do to mitigate the possibility of them saying no?

yes i agree with the above dont forget the written consent of the land owner aswell

you don't actually need it, my force just asks for the phone number and calls the landowner to confirm.

as for the .22 and HMR bit just say for long range rabbits and they should be fine about you having both calibers. Though I'm happy I've not got a .22 and know a lot of people who once they have the HMR the .22 doesn't come out of the cabinet